Re: [pwp] Progressive enhancement of digital books

On 12/3/15, 7:39 AM, "Cramer, Dave" <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com> wrote:

>On Dec 3, 2015, at 10:28 AM, Nick Ruffilo <nickruffilo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> Would this suggest that there is not a global navigation that defines the order of all pages, and simply a relative positioning of next/prev in each document?  Or would this be as as-well-as?

That was my concern as well, Nick.  I would expect that an RS/UA requires a full list of “sections” and their logical ordering so that (if desired) it could present some UX elements such as a TOC, “bookmarks” or whatever.

>That's an interesting question. In the spirit of progressive enhancement, I think the prev/next links could be a foundation that would work with hardly any effort--it's conceptually simple and exists today.

Effort for authoring, very little, true.  Effort for the RS/UA, a LOT - since it would require opening & parsing every file to find the next links…

Leonard