Re: Fwd: [Moderator Action] RE: Active lobbying: Math

On 24/08/2015 23:43 , Doug Schepers wrote:
> I think we could really benefit from taking a look at _why_ browser
> vendors aren't implementing MathML

I won't claim that it's the final word from browser vendors, but this
was discussed extensively at Balisage last year. MathML suffers from the
combination of being a pretty large chunk with a relatively small
community.

> learning those lessons, and making a new version of MathML that's
> easier to implement and maintain, easier to author, easier to style,
> and is better integrated into HTML5.

The FXTF (a joint task force of SVG and CSS) might be a good model here.
SVG was also designed largely separately from HTML and CSS, and the FXTF
has helped line things up so that the same tech could be used by both.

A key point there was splitting things up. Implementing all of SVG at
once is pretty daunting. The FXTF split out things like filters,
transforms, animation into their own modules. The effect is doubly
beneficial: it is easier to focus on implementing smaller features and
the user base for a feature that works in broader HTML+CSS contexts and
use cases is much larger than that for just SVG.