Re: [dpub identifiers] Please review updated Identifiers TF wiki

Thank you Ayla.

Without going into the details of the proposal, the question it raises to me, as part of the EPUB-WEB discussion, is what is the role (if any) of an identifier that identifies a *page*. Indeed, depending on the style of the online document, a page is

* a very ephemeral entity and thereby it is not really a suitable target for an identifier (a flowing book, whose pagination is based on user interaction, is the obvious example)
* a fixed entity, ie, for fixed layout document

it strikes me that an identifier approach for an EPUB-WEB document needs to cover the second item, too. AFAIK, CFI can do that only if the fixed layout document is organized in terms of a series of separate files within the package, but that may not cover all the cases (e.g., if a presentation slide show is stored as a portable document, and the 'pagination' is the result of a javascript running on one single source).

Whether the approach taken by the HathiTrust document is the right one (as far as I could understand from a cursory look it assigns a UDDI type URN to each page, which is then combined with the identifier of a 'volume') is a different question. I am not sure this is a general solution but I guess the more general questions are certainly valid!

Thanks again

Ivan