From: Robin Berjon [mailto:robin@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 5:32 AM
To: Dave Cramer; W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: Re: [Page DOM] page counters across multiple documents

On 03/11/2014 14:10 , Dave Cramer wrote:
> Most book-like documents consist of multiple HTML files. Consider a
> tiny book with two HTML files, one for the first chapter and one for
> the second chapter. We'd like to display page numbers throughout the
> document, so chapter two would need to know how many pages were in
> chapter one.
>
> CSS counters can be initialized, but we'd need some method to obtain
> information about previous and subsequent files in the same book, and
> pass that to the page and pages counters. This could get expensive...

I've thought about similar problems a few times in the past, specifically how to handle things like ToCs and in-document cross-references for multi-page specs (for ReSpec).

I haven't found any kind of magic bullet... You basically have to process all the documents. Hopefully you can cache the result of that processing so it only needs to happen once.