W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-digipub-ig@w3.org > November 2014

Re: ODRL Policy Language Version 2.1 Final Draft Specifications First Call for Comments

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:42:48 +0800
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, Madi Weland Solomon <madi.solomon@pearson.com>, "Dianne Kennedy (dkennedy@idealliance.org)" <dkennedy@idealliance.org>, "linda@laburman.com" <linda@laburman.com>, Julie Morris <Julie@bisg.org>, Len Vlahos <len@bisg.org>
Message-Id: <E4A233C2-18C0-4831-8DC5-13F8532FEE01@w3.org>
To: Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>

> On 14 Nov 2014, at 07:31 , Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com> wrote:
> 
> "Parties" plural, though. . . . Most of the work these parties have done heretofore has been done independently of each other. E.g., even though IDEAlliance is using ODRL, they have not been involved in developing ODRL to my knowledge. That's the issue I was trying to highlight. Maybe the ODRL CG is the right place for the interested parties all to collaborate; probably so. And maybe that should and can lead to a WG? (Isn't that what happened with Annotations?)

Indeed, but that was slightly different. The current W3C 'gang', ie, the team as well as the technical people usually around W3C are mostly technical people, who can judge the annotation work, write and also give judgement on charters, etc. The issue with a possible standardization of ODRL is that this is not a purely technical issue. And that is worried me at the F2F, and continues to worry me.

All that being said: this is not our decision. It is not even my decision, because such a vocabulary would not be for publishing only. I know that the issue has come up in the team, and it is undecided; the only thing I can do is to forward this issue to Phil Archer, the responsible person, and we shall see...

Ivan


> Because as we observed at TPAC, and is stated right in the ODRL spec, "It is not a W3C Standard nor is it on the W3C Standards Track." Just sayin'. Since the job of the DPIG is to highlight things that are important to publishing (and NOT to do the work of actually addressing those issues), I still think rights metadata fits that description. I don't mean to be argumentative and I don't dispute the decision at the F2F but I will have a hard time letting go of thinking this. ;-)
> 
> --Bill K
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ivan Herman [mailto:ivan@w3.org] 
> Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:13 PM
> To: Bill Kasdorf
> Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG; Madi Weland Solomon; Dianne Kennedy (dkennedy@idealliance.org); linda@laburman.com; Julie Morris; Len Vlahos
> Subject: Re: ODRL Policy Language Version 2.1 Final Draft Specifications  First Call for Comments
> 
> 
>> On 13 Nov 2014, at 02:20 , Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com> wrote:
>> 
>> Thanks! Very timely. In fact at a meeting I attended last week IDEAlliance committed to basing their rights implementation on ODRL (their focus is primarily magazines, and they are working on getting quite an extensive specification and vocabulary done in the next few months), and they also met with BISG last week, who is also working on rights issues (focusing on books). I've copied the appropriate people at those organizations to make sure they're aware of this. (You see why I was so insistent on saying that rights metadata is a big issue for publishers!)
> 
> Turning your argument around, this means that there *are* groups out there who do this. In other words, I think it was a wise decision at the F2F meeting that this Interest Group should not join a crowded party:-)
> 
> Ivan
> 
> 
>> --Bill K
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Ivan Herman [mailto:ivan@w3.org] 
>> Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 11:15 PM
>> To: W3C Digital Publishing IG
>> Cc: Madi Weland Solomon; Bill Kasdorf
>> Subject: FYI: ODRL Policy Language Version 2.1 Final Draft Specifications  First Call for Comments
>> 
>> The issue of right management came up a lot these days; this may be relevant.
>> 
>> http://www.w3.org/community/odrl/2014/11/12/odrl-version-2-1-final-draft-specifications-first-call-for-comments/
>> 
>> Ivan
>> 
>> ----
>> Ivan Herman, W3C 
>> Digital Publishing Activity Lead
>> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
>> mobile: +31-641044153
>> ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> ----
> Ivan Herman, W3C 
> Digital Publishing Activity Lead
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> mobile: +31-641044153
> ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 


----
Ivan Herman, W3C 
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704
Received on Friday, 14 November 2014 06:43:38 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:35:53 UTC