Re: [DPUB] 2014-11-03 notes from STEM task force meeting

Peter,

a minor comment: I think it is possible to create a questionnaire which does not require people to have a W3C account. I do not remember exactly how to do that, but it is doable and, in this case, it would probably be better. (Asking people to create one more account for themselves just to answer something like that would be a problem, lot of people may stay away.)

We should also make it sure (in the preamble, or somewhere around that) that it is not the goal of this questionnaire to gather information on all miseries of the scholarly world, and what we concentrate on is the relationships on OWP. For example, there are discussions, even active organizations, that actively look at issues on publishing scientific data, but we are not concentrating on that. (The questions seem to be o.k. in this respect, but emphasizing this is probably useful.)

One issue that came up in other discussions is how 'faithful' rendering should be in the scholarly world. Markus referred to a Knut quote at the F2F I believe, who said that PDF should be the only authoritative version of an article, due to the precise nature of the formula rendering. Drilling down into this for various disciplines would probably be helpful to see where we are, what the requirements are.

Another point: how big is the demand to be able to do animation, video, audio, etc, in scholarly publishing. Did the researchers really hit this issue, or it is only cherry on the cake. What about the future in this sense? In general: is the traditional linear scholarly storytelling enough in spite of what some techie people say, or is it a real demand out there? Does it depend on disciplines?

Thanks for doing this!

Ivan

> On 10 Nov 2014, at 22:35 , Peter Krautzberger <peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I've consolidated a little (not as much as I'd hoped -- horribly perfect timing: today's xkcd) and I've created https://github.com/w3c/dpub-stem/wiki/questionnaire.
>
> Peter.
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Peter Krautzberger <peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org> wrote:
> Thanks, Ivan & Thierry!
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Thierry MICHEL <tmichel@w3.org> wrote:
>

> On 03/11/2014 21:00, Peter Krautzberger wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Below are my notes from the TF call today.
>
> This google doc
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DGO1QAoAnlBObSADC85Bd3eH4Up9x8xNGowFLk521bk/edit?usp=sharing> has
> the current list of people we want to send the questionnaire to.
>
> *@everyone* if you have a suggestion to add to that list, please send me
> a quick email. Thank you!
>
> *@Ivan* for the questionnaire, is there any W3C technology we
> could/should use? (Also, any policies we need to consider?)
>

> W3C has a Questionnaite tool one can use.
> WBS: Web-Based Straw-poll and balloting system
> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/showwb
>

> Create a new questionnaire for
> the Digital Publishing Interest Group
> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/64149/factory