Re: Content semantic discussion

On 20 May 2014, at 18:08 , AUDRAIN LUC <LAUDRAIN@hachette-livre.fr> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Old, yes, enough to have celebrated the 10 anniversary of SGML at Boston SGML96…
>
> Thank you for the semantic clarification of the term “semantics”.
> I agree with you and I am thankfull to the DPUB WG to contribute in this distinction between “structural semantic” for which the @role attribute seems to be recommended and the “content semantic” for which RDFa stuff can be used.
>
> I wouldn’t use @class for that… Why not the reverse : CSS styling depending on @role value and RDFa?

Right, absolutely. I know that, in general, @class can be used for other things but, in fact, @class is mostly used for styling and I prefer to keep to that.

(I guess the fact that schema.org does not use @class for what we call here 'semantic enhancement', but uses MD/RDFa, or possibly embedded JSON-LD via a <script> element, shows where the preferences...)

Ivan

> Best,
> Luc

Digital Publishing Activity Lead