From: Gerardo Capiel <gerardoc@benetech.org>
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, George Kerscher
            <kerscher@montana.com>, Anh Bui <anhb@benetech.org>, Robert
            Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>, Bill Kasdorf
            <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>, "Markus Gylling"
            <markus.gylling@gmail.com>, W3C Digital Publishing IG
            <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, Suzanne Taylor
            <suzanne.taylor@pearson.com>, "Thea Eaton"
            <thea@doodledoo.com>, Matt Garrish <matt.garrish@bell.net>,
            "Madeleine Rothberg" <madeleine_rothberg@wgbh.org>
Date: 03/04/2014 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: Annotation Accessibility Use Cases...

Robert - Thank you for your feedback.

All -  WAI-ARIA, which is specifically targeted at assistive technologies,
could also be useful here to indicate further indicate the role of an
annotation beyond what oa:motivatedBy does.  I also think using HTML5
microdata or RDFa with the Schema.org accessibility properties, such as
accessibilityFeature with a value of longDescription for an image or MathML
for a formula, could provide a mechanism for users to discover content that
has been annotated for accessibility purposes.  Though there is overlap
between each property their contexts/applications are different: WAI-ARIA
for assistive technologies, OpenAnnotation for annotation systems and
Schema.org for search engine indexing/discovery.  I do wonder though if we
are complicating things to much for tools developers and content creators
by having so many variations depending on the context.

We may want to add to the Annotations specification a section describing
how to best integrate with WAI-ARIA and Schema.org properties.

Gerardo

Gerardo Capiel
VP of Engineering
benetech