Re: draft agenda, DPUB IG concall 20140609 15UTC

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 14:59 +0200, Peter Krautzberger wrote:
> Hi,
> > > The "E" in STEM
> > I always thought the E was Engineering, not Education. Another ambiguity:
> >  the S sometimes means "Science" and sometimes means "Scholarly".
> > (I think it means "Science", which is why I often say "Scholarly and
> > STM" or "Scholarly and STEM.")
>
> I like referencing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEM_fields.

Peter, thank you for that helpful link!

That helps me a lot for one, as I see now it's overloaded in different
fields.

(1) STM in publishing for Scientific, Technical, Medical, e,g,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STM#In_publishing
(which is where I knew it, e.g. from the online journal reader project
we had at SoftQuad years ago)

(2) STEM or STEAM in graduate or college-level education in the US (and
elsewhere??) where the E includes Education, and similar to MINT for
Maths, Information science, natural science and technology.

An additional E creeps in to journal publishing for engineering or
education sometimes, probably because of this confusion.

See e.g. http://www.stm-assoc.org/ for the international association of
scientific, technical and medical publishers.

Liam