RE: draft agenda, DPUB IG concall 20140609 15UTC

Re:
>"Document UX" might be the Web version of this?
-- I like this, although like all the proposed changes, it requires explanation (though not as much as "Aesthetics and Ergonomy") that what it is proposed to replace does not. And one thing I have always pointed out: the whole point of styling and layout is "Document UX." That's typography. Always has been, always will be. The reason things are styled the way they are, and arranged the way they are, is fundamentally to communicate distinctions between things (this thing is not the same as that thing), relationships between things (this thing is part of that thing, that thing includes this thing), relative importance (the big bold subhead is more important than the small italic subhead), etc. That's exactly the point of typography and layout. God didn't say big bold things are more important than small italic things, or that a big number at the top of a new page is a chapter number. It is a whole set of "understood" conventions (within a culture), and for western print typography it has evolved for over 500 years, and drawing on an even older manuscript culture. It is not primarily decorative, its purpose is "Document UX". So frankly I still vote for "Styling and Layout". Speaking as a typographer.

Re:
> I really don't like the term Semantics if content markup is not included.
As I mentioned on an earlier call, one reason the term "semantics" has gotten muddled is that it is used for both "structural refinement" (about the document) and "semantic enhancement" (about the content). I think most people reflexively think the latter when they hear the term "semantics" and that's why they get confused by the term "structural semantics". Liam is right, it's both, but for clarity I prefer to refer to "structural refinement" instead of "structural semantics", and leave "semantics" to being about the content, not about the document.

Re:
> The "E" in STEM
I always thought the E was Engineering, not Education. Another ambiguity: the S sometimes means "Science" and sometimes means "Scholarly". (I think it means "Science", which is why I often say "Scholarly and STM" or "Scholarly and STEM.")

--Bill Kasdorf