From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
To: public-digipub-ig@w3.org
Date: 07/15/2014 11:55 AM
Subject: Please Support the Proposed W3C Web Annotations WG Charter

Hi, Digital Publication IG–

I'm writing you directly to ask you to support the formation of the
proposed Web Annotation Working Group. The charter is currently under
Advisory Committee review.

I know that annotations are of general interest to this group, so I don't
need to tell you how important this is. If you want to see this work move
forward, it's important that you indicate your support to help W3C
management set priorities.

If you're a W3C Member, to register your interest, simply fill out the AC
review form for the Web Annotations WG charter [1]. If you are passionate
about W3C standardizing annotations, you can also fill out the AC review
form for the WebApps WG charter [2], and explicitly mention the Robust
Anchoring deliverable that is a joint deliverable between the WebApps and
Web Annotations WGs.

Filling out both forms should only take about 5-10 minutes, and the AC
review for the WebApps WG charter ends on Thursday, so please take some
time now to fill out these forms. We really appreciate it.

If you're not a W3C Member, nothing shows your support for Web annotations
more than joining W3C now. :) But if you can't join W3C, you can still help
by spreading the word.

For background, back in April 2014, W3C held a Web Annotations Workshop; in
the workshop report [3], you can read the presentation and discussion
summaries, and watch the videos of the event.

Some of the highlights were the importance of importance of standardized
annotations for accessibility [4], for education, and for digital
publishing.

If you'd like to hear more about Web annotations, and how it might help
your organization, please feel free to contact me, and I'd be happy to talk
to you.

[1] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/33280/annowg/

[2] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/33280/webapps-2014/

[3] http://www.w3.org/2014/04/annotation/report.html