Re: [metadata] Launching DPIG Metadata Task Force

Hi Bill, all,

Rather than clutter the wiki with personal opinions and questions, I'll
post them here. If you think they're valuable, I'll copy them over.

* Bibliographic metadata -- There are many, many bibliographic schemas and
"standards" out there. All have their issues.  RDA is 1600 properties.
Bibframe is looking to be similar, if it ever materializes.  Simple Dublin
Core is woefully insufficient. DC Terms isn't as bad as an 80%, but so is
Bibo. And then there's non RDF schemas... MARC is ubiquitous in libraries,
but arcane and not at all web friendly. MODS, MARC/XML, PRISM, ONIX, etc...

Also, what's the line between Descriptive and Bibliographic?

* Technical metadata -- technical metadata for what? For any resource on
the web ... which therefore encompasses absolutely everything?

* Administrative metadata -- Does this mean rights metadata?

* Versioning -- A huge issue by itself.  To self-cite,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7089 was 4 years of work to cover a very,
very small portion of this.

* The IG's charter (IIRC) says that it won't create new recommendations --
to work with ONIX (for example) to create an RDF version would mean the
creation of a separate Working Group?

So overall, my concern is that nothing useful will get done due to the
existing baggage in the domain. Picking something focused is, in my
opinion, going to be more productive than trying to even survey what exists
across the entire "metadata" landscape.

Rob