Re: Review of css-shapes-1

Thanks for the read-through, Dave.

On 1/6/14, 12:59 PM, "Cramer, Dave" <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com> wrote:

>I haven't found much to say about CSS Shapes Level 1 [1]. The concepts
>are useful, and the examples are clear.
>

>As always, I looked through my book collection to find examples of text
>wrapping around images. There were very few--even some highly designed
>books were either not wrapping text around objects at all, or they were
>simple rectangles that would work with
> float as specified today. The examples I did find were more complicated,
>where images were wrapping around each other. Since shapes don't affect
>float, that's not something under consideration here.

I have definitely seen text wrapping around objects more in magazine
layout than book layout. There did seem to be a fad for arranging the
final page of a chapter in a shape a few centuries back, but that’s more a
shape determined by the text than around a separate object.

Here are some contemporary examples (some of which can be done with float
positioning, others which will need to have exclusions [1] as well:

http://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/css3-exclusions-print-use-cases

http://galjot.si/css-exclusions

>I know the case of text wrapping around text (as with drop caps) was
>raised on www-style. I see that as an important use case, but I think the
>full solution to that problem might belong to a formal drop cap proposal.
>I don't really want to draw polygons
> around letter outlines every time I use a new drop cap!

One solution for this is to wrap around the rendered edges of the drop cap
(with a suitable margin). This has been postponed to level 2 of CSS Shapes
[2], as the general case of wrapping around rendered content has some
security issues we haven’t yet found a solution for.

Thanks again,

Alan

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-exclusions/

[2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-shapes-2/#shapes-from-image