FYI: Work on Annotation structures *may* start at W3C

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 12:52:35 +0100
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing Discussion list <public-digipub@w3.org>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Karen Myers <karen@w3.org>
To: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Dear all,

W3C may start a Working Group to standardize the major building blocks for annotations. We have just issued a so-called 'advance notice' to our members[1], referring to a very early draft for the Working Group[2]. This work is meant to be very closely related to the publishing industry; in fact, it is planned to be part of the Digital Publishing Activity. We have worked on this draft with Rob and Paolo, the two co-chairs of the Open Annotation Community Group; one thing that we will have to clearly define is the division of work among the corresponding IDPF work, the Community Group and this Working Group (an issue that we have already discussed before).

Per se this is not strictly an IG work, but it is of course closely related to the Annotation Task Force's work. Actually, the contribution of this IG to the Working Group will be absolutely essential, and will play a crucial role in the establishment of the group.