[DPUB]Accessibility and Education Metadata

From: Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 14:42:42 +0000
To: "public-digipub-ig@w3.org" <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Although the discussion yesterday focused a lot on the need to embed _subject_ metadata into content for discoverability and marketing reasons (a strong message from the interviews), I wanted to point out something that did NOT come up in the interviews I was reporting on, but which I think should have: accessibility metadata. We've already got it available in schema.org, of course, but I just didn't want that important issue to get forgotten about in the discussion.

In the education sphere, the same is true of metadata needed in the classroom or to integrate content into an LMS, which is a bit more complex an issue at the moment, though there are schema.org properties that address that as well.

There are also vocabularies in ONIX for both purposes, though not identical to what is in schema.org.

The work that has recently been done in both of these areas provides ready-made examples of the properties that the folks expert in those areas deem important. These may be close to "solved problem" status from the W3C POV but they both happen to provide models for how to do this that could be extended to other areas (e.g., other aspects of ONIX not yet provided by schema.org, which BISG is working to identify).

Bill Kasdorf
Vice President, Apex Content Solutions
Apex CoVantage
W: +1 734-904-6252