Re: [pagination] Draft pagination document now in GitHub and online

On 10/27/13 4:35 PM, "Liam R E Quin" <liam@w3.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 2013-10-27 at 09:05 +0100, Ivan Herman wrote:
>
>> I must admit I am uneasy about putting anything out of scope at this
>> moment. For example, call me naïve, but my hope is that, aside from
>> terminology, Arabic, Hebrew, and other rtl writing systems may not be
>> all that different apart from a carefully chosen terminology.
>
>They aren't, although the definition of a baseline has to be made
>carefully, maths (even simple numbers) need special handling, and of
>course whitespace is treated very differently with the Arabic script. So
>there are a lot of details to consider. Typography is about attention to
>detail.
>
>RenderX, as I understand it, is quite widely used for formatting (using
>XSL-FO with of course embedded CSS properties) of Arabic and Chinese,
>and mixed Arabic, Chinese and English such as you might find in
>Malaysia. I remember a question to the XSL-FO WG at one point about
>where to put the underline on a right-to-left quotation embedded in
>vertical text. There's also stuff in XSL-FO for mixing e.g. Hindi and
>Arabic. So there's expertise floating around not too far away, and
>documents for Arabic and Hebrew typesetting would share a lot with those
>for Latin script Western languages, kashida and cantillation
>notwithstanding :)

A pragmatic approach to the scope of the document would be to cover
everything people are willing to write about!

Do we still want to cover Japanese-language issues in depth, given the
existence of JLREQ?

Dave

This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.