Re: The AAP EPUB 3 Implementation Project

Hi Richard – Welcome to the group!

I just saw your comments in my inbox, and as I’m getting ready to do a mathml webinar tomorrow, you immediately got my attention…

You say that “A big issue will be getting open source MathML readers (voice) and renders – preferably based on SVG as it is a good fit for mobile.”

Do you mean that it would be better to have MathML that is rendered as SVG than rendered natively in a browser because of the ARIA and tab index support?

The DPUB has started to collect some MathML use cases here: http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/MathML_UC. We would definitely like to identify and record additional use cases around MathML and Accessibility. Please go ahead and send email to the group regarding any MathML use cases you wish to add. I’ve been the “de facto” keeper of the MathML use cases for the group to date. (yep. I volunteered. And sort of dragged Peter along with me, since he’s the guy who provided the initial write-ups of the 3 use cases we’ve documented to date…)

Here’s the link to register for the webinar we’re doing tomorrow if anyone’s interested:

https://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=registration.jsp&eventid=681450&sessionid=1&key=BF15E182E16C4F1C3A04C885DF1DC212&sourcepage=register

This was originally going to be a 2 person effort between Peter Krautzberger of MathJax and myself, but we recently expanded our speaker list by one to include Sanders Kleinfeld from O’Reilly who will be presenting a case study about how O’Reilly built a toolchain API to deal with the need to put math on different retail reading devices in addition to mobile apps, the web, and in printed books.

Jean Kaplansky
Solutions Architect
Aptara, Inc.
Email: jean.kaplansky@aptaracorp.com<mailto:jean.kaplansky@aptaracorp.com>
Skype: JeanKaplansky
Mobile: 518 487 9670

[cid:5FEB827A-A5CA-4CE8-8E44-1F3F63EC4A04]