Re: Whose problem is a strange French typesetting habit...

(Eric sent this mail to the IG list, but that is a list where only members of the IG may post; the comment list is for everyone! -Ivan)

Dear Ivan,

Indeed, there should be a space in French before any "double" punctuation. But in good quality typesetting, this space is a thin space ("quart de cadratin"). An alternative if thin spaces are not available is a non-breaking space, but indeed is not always done properly on web sites.

Line breaking before a punctuation and no space before a punctuation are both mistakes in French typesetting... At Soleb we have automatic replacement rules that are used on all French texts - authors are usually very bad at this.

It would of course be a great thing to have CSS (best) or the reading system (universality issue) take this into account.

Eric