RE: Overarching scope of the DPUB; Was re: Pagination ED, 28 October 2013

And it's not just a matter of whether S1000D would _itself_ ever be in scope for CSS, DPIG, or the OWP, and vice-versa, it's that the type of content managed in S1000D will definitely need to be accommodated by the OWP. Whether or not HTML5 etc. could ever _replace_ S1000D (as it is now starting to replace DocBook et al. in certain cases, e.g., O'Reilly, Pearson), I definitely think the DPIG needs to be aware of the complexities involved with publishing that kind of content. (Ditto for DITA.)
--Bill Kasdorf

From: Jean Kaplansky [mailto:Jean.Kaplansky@aptaracorp.com]
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 4:15 PM
To: Tony Graham
Cc: Ben Ko; public-digipub-ig-comment@w3.org
Subject: Re: Overarching scope of the DPUB; Was re: Pagination ED, 28 October 2013

I don't think it was a bad to bring this up. Similarities to opening Pandora's box aside, I actually think that it was a good point to bring up to get some clarification around DPUB scope expectations.

The pagination requirements of the military and therefore, anything that contributes documentation to the military are truly a science unto themselves. It's not just typography to that crowd. Pagination is typography and protocol and security clearance and international agreements and oh, so much more.

Jean Kaplansky
Solutions Architect
Aptara, Inc.
Email: jean.kaplansky@aptaracorp.com<mailto:jean.kaplansky@aptaracorp.com>