Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Potential Malicious Mail]Re: Query: Storing DID Documents on Centralized Platforms

  *   There have been DID Methods for IPFS

On that note, is did:ipid an active method?

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Wednesday, 14 February 2024 at 14:06
To: Joosten, H.J.M. (Rieks) <rieks.joosten@tno.nl>
Cc: Chaals Nevile <charles.nevile@consensys.net>, Vigas Deep <vigasdeep@gmail.com>, public-did-wg@w3.org <public-did-wg@w3.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Potential Malicious Mail]Re: Query: Storing DID Documents on Centralized Platforms
CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Hyland. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 3:04 AM Joosten, H.J.M. (Rieks)
<rieks.joosten@tno.nl> wrote:
> so anyone with access to that storage could change the did doc, unless the particular method itself requires the doc to be signed by a/the controller. I think did:web is vulnerable and there may be others.

Yes to what Chaal's said, and ...

Yes, what Rieks said is also true.

There are multiple efforts to put tighter security around did:web
which end up looking very much like a transaction log on the DID
Document (signed transactions on changes to the DID Document)... which
then, of course, end up looking like a mini-blockchain.

To more directly answer Vigas' question: There have been DID Methods
for IPFS and Github... none for Google Drive (that I know of), but I
expect the Google Drive DID Documents would end up looking close to
what a did:web DID Document would look like.

-- manu

--
Manu Sporny - https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.linkedin.com/in/manusporny/__;!!C8mu0vCj!fIB9KoPvm4xQCRShp5LqWaII62LqX3VoS8qIi9MQk_JsqTZWC1dTNgB14cSPzGJVIVDvIea6w7pmgmdjZW34FjlXc6c$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.linkedin.com/in/manusporny/__;!!C8mu0vCj!fIB9KoPvm4xQCRShp5LqWaII62LqX3VoS8qIi9MQk_JsqTZWC1dTNgB14cSPzGJVIVDvIea6w7pmgmdjZW34FjlXc6c$>
Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.

-----------------------------------------  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail -----------------------------------------

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message and any attached documents may contain confidential information from Hyland Software, Inc. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message or of any attached documents, or the taking of any action or omission to take any action in reliance on the contents of this message or of any attached documents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, at +1 (440) 788-5000, and delete the original message immediately. Thank you.