Re: New proposal for the DID WG charter

I've commented on the tag issue several times at this point, but I will
share it here one more time:

W3C DIDs and W3C VCs are both taking a normative dependency on multiple
structured suffixes:

- https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mediaman-suffixes/

multiple structured suffixes is code for polyglot data types:

- https://tess.oconnor.cx/2023/09/polyglots-and-interoperability

expect to see a lot of "+ld+json" registrations in the future based on:

- https://w3c.github.io/json-ld-syntax/#structured-extension-ld-json
- https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mediaman-standards-tree/
- https://www.w3.org/TR/activitypub/#retrieving-objects
- https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#iana-considerations
- https://www.w3.org/TR/did-core/#application-did-ld-json

Regardless of your opinions on the details of building good media types...
DID Resolvers satisfy an interface that looks like this:

StringOrURI => Media Type.

IPFS / IPLD also have an interesting relationship to media types, in that
unlike HTTPS URLs,
you can't negotiate for a different representation, since the content
identifier encodes the representation... that's why I put "StringOrURI" in
the above interface.

For example:
- https://did-ipid.github.io/ipid-did-method/
- https://w3c-ccg.github.io/did-method-key/#secp256k1

You could "resolve" both of these without processing the "did:method:"
prefixing... that's what implementations do internally today... then they
containerize / transform the result and return it as application/json or
application/ld+json.

This leads to weird behavior where you can negotiate a JWK from a
multicodec encoded did:key... which you probably need to do a lot since
nobody understands multicodec keys right yet.

OS

--

ORIE STEELE
Chief Technology Officer