Re: [EXT] Re: Potential list of securities in the US [was: Unlawful Unregistered Securities, DID and VC]

Phillip captured wonderfully why I have been uncomfortable from the start of this thread: “DIDs work with chains, not tokens.” The fact that the DID registry includes a DID method that works with a particular chain has nothing directly to do with any token involved with that chain.

I get the potential perception issue, but when it comes to the reality, there is no connection, and we will only confuse the market by inferring that there is.

=Drummond

From: Phillip Shoemaker <phillip@identity.org>
Date: Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 9:37 AM
To: Kyle Den Hartog <kyle@pryvit.tech>
Cc: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>, W3C DID Working Group <public-did-wg@w3.org>
Subject: [EXT] Re: Potential list of securities in the US [was: Unlawful Unregistered Securities, DID and VC]
I don’t understand this witch hunt about securities and cryptocurrencies that this group seems to be focused on. A few important datapoints that have already been expressed by others, including Christopher Allen:

1. This is one government that has an issue with these tokens. And while it is the government that rules me and my company, we are working on a technology that has global impact.

2. This is about tokens, not chains. So saying that while Binance has an issue with the SEC, and their token might be considered a security by the SEC, this doesn’t mean that the chain that takes these tokens is in violation or in any way suspected of doing bad things. A chain is not a token.

3. DIDs work with chains, not tokens. So until we understand that a chain is “bad”, we should not entertain this conversation.

- - -
Phillip Shoemaker
Executive Director, Identity
E: phillip@identity.org