Re: Unlawful Unregistered Securities, DID and VC

čt 15. 6. 2023 v 3:36 odesílatel Kim Hamilton <kimdhamilton@gmail.com>
napsal:

> The problem is that the term "legally compliant" is not yet clear here. I
> echo Manu, etc, who are pointing out that this will take years to shake
> out. What is being discussed here instead is a problem of interpretation
> and perception.
>
> I'm not saying that to discount problems of perception. But we need more
> data to provide the best solution if a change is needed.
>
> Particularly, if there are claims that groups at W3C are "indifferent
> to...laws" (assuming CCG is included in that set) , we absolutely need to
> learn more about that and escalate to W3C leadership asap to help us
> navigate.
>
> It sounds separately (for different reasons) like there are calls for
> cleanup or removal of the registry. We should untangle that too, but claims
> that we don't care about the law are the proverbial gun to our head. It
> will be hard to move onto anything else until we understand that more.

Let's acknowledge a fundamental principle that's been recognized for
decades: if securities are being sold within a specific jurisdiction, they
must adhere to the securities laws of that jurisdiction.

The DID method registry does potentially encompass dealings with
securities. As such, it is paramount that it complies with the relevant
laws.

While some may argue for operating outside of these legal constraints, it's
important to note that this approach should not occur under the auspices of
the W3C. The collective agreement to focus on legal pursuits is crucial,
and all subsequent actions stem from this commitment. This is the basis of
the proposed two-step process.

Concerning the term "legally compliant", it's true that its interpretation
can be complex and can vary across different contexts. However, it's
essential to underscore that this discussion doesn't invalidate the
obligation to comply with existing laws.