Appeal of the WG Chairs on the draft DiD Working Group charter

Context: Joe Andrieu requested to file an appeal on the DID WG chairs
decision to merge some changes in the charter proposal to be submitted
to AC review. Joe argues that this charter does not reflect the
consensus of the WG. The chairs, on the other hand, argue that 1) while
there is indeed no clear consensus, this charter is the most acceptable
for the majority of the group (an assessment that was confirmed by a
recent poll); and that 2) the charter is not a WG deliverable, and
consensus must be reached at the AC level anyway, so Joe’s argument
should be raised during AC review, not prior to it.

Dear Joe,

April 12, 2023), and in light of the discussions we had with you, with
the DID Working Group chairs, and of the results of the poll sent to the
DID Working Group on May 22, 2023 [1].

While the W3C team concurs there is no consensus within the Working
Group, we reached the conclusion that the best way forward for the
Working Group is to submit the charter proposal, in its current state
[2], to the Advisory Committee for review, per section 4.3 Advisory
Committee Review of a Charter [3]. We will clearly signal that there is
dissent among the participants of the Working Group, and encourage all
members (including those disagreeing participants) to discuss these
issues as part of the AC review. We expect that the charter proposal may
further evolve during this discussion, and hope that the end result will
be acceptable to all members.

Philippe Le Hegaret,
W3C Strategy and Project Lead

[1] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/117488/rechartering_survey/results