RE: New member - and (hopefully) an interesting use case - and a question

In the mid to long term, I expect there to be assessment and certification entities that will do independent assessment of DIDs, DID issuance infrastructure, and Wallets using criteria that will be  developed by (TBD / ?).

@Steve, there is a new Linux Foundation project called Trust over IP <https://trustoverip.org/> , or ToIP that will be addressing just such issues of certification, interoperability, etc. It would be great to get your participation and perspective to help shape this work.

From: John, Anil <anil.john@hq.dhs.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 6:34 AM
To: public-credentials@w3.org
Cc: public-did-wg@w3.org
Subject: RE: New member - and (hopefully) an interesting use case - and a question

>the method part of the DID is important for interoperability and, although I can see the value in letting anyone setup a new method,

>there is a risk of explosion - as https://w3c-ccg.github.io/did-method-registry/ seems to already show.

>Looking at this list of methods, I really have no idea what problem each is solving, why there are so many, and whether I should re-use one or create another.

Welcome Steve.

I’ll provide an answer from my context which is >> Public Sector // Issuer of Credentials // Verifier of Credentials

* There are many DID methods and corresponding issuance infrastructures for them -- all of them are not equal.
* It is incumbent upon an Issuer to understand the security, privacy and interoperability aspects of each DID method they choose to support as a Subject DID for a credential they issue.
* It is incumbent upon each Verifier to determine the security, privacy and interoperability aspects of each DID method they choose to support as a Subject DID for a credential they verify
* It is incumbent upon each Issuer and Verifier to clearly understand the security, privacy and interoperability implications of the Wallets they will support

My general thinking here (there are nuances) is to treat the analysis you conduct on a DID method, the associated DID issuance infrastructure, and the Wallet with the same rigor you would apply to conducting an analysis of a new type of authenticator.

Do I expect Issuers and Verifiers to white-list a set of supported DID methods?

Yes, In the near to mid-term. I am anticipating this to be enforced via the DID resolver infrastructure the issuer and the verifier considers trusted, either because they are running it internally or because they have done an assessment of an external one.  As an example, if you compare the publicly available Resolver run by the DIF @ https://uniresolver.io/, and the one run by Transmute Industries @ https://resolve.transmute.world/, you will note that each of them support a specific set of DIDs.

In the mid to long term, I expect there to be assessment and certification entities that will do independent assessment of DIDs, DID issuance infrastructure, and Wallets using criteria that will be  developed by (TBD / ?).

Until that part of the ecosystem is more mature, I know that in our case, particularly given the chaff in the air, we expect to do a full security, privacy, interoperability assessment of  any infrastructure that we potentially may use to understand the choices made by that infrastructure provider, and use that information to inform our decision on whether that infrastructure is acceptable for our purposes on the issuance and verification sides.

Best Regards,

Anil

Anil John

Technical Director, Silicon Valley Innovation Program

Science and Technology Directorate

US Department of Homeland Security

Washington, DC, USA

Email Response Time – 24 Hours

This document contains pre-decisional and/or deliberative process information exempt from mandatory disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(5). Do not release without prior approval of the Department of Homeland Security.