Re: DID WG Special Topic Call (Service Endpoints)

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 12:59:21 -0400
To: Oliver Terbu <oliver.terbu@consensys.net>, Daniel Hardman <daniel.hardman@evernym.com>
Cc: W3C DID Working Group <public-did-wg@w3.org>
On 8/27/20 2:03 PM, Oliver Terbu wrote:
> People that rely on service endpoints and who do problematic things will
> continue using service endpoints and doing problematic things by
> defining their own @context and their own service endpoint property.

Yes, but at least then we could disavow any sort of WG-condoned usage of
the property... :P

Your point is valid and taken.

> Removing service endpoints from the specification would just move the
> problem to an area where we cannot provide privacy guidance.

Yes, true, but what if our privacy guidance is "Don't use them at all,
service endpoints are a really bad idea."? :)

I'm only half joking... there are enough people that are convinced in
the group that Service Endpoints are necessary in DID Documents to
probably carry them through to global standard.

I don't, however, think we've had a good discussion about alternatives.
I've opened this issue to have that discussion:

https://github.com/w3c/did-core/issues/382

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches