Re: Software maturity?

I think the registry would benefit from some kind of evaluation... and from
a test suite score.

regarding prototyping:

I would recommend did:web for prototyping... why?

1. Easy to update the DID Document with experimental features
2. Works with existing infrastructure
3. Readable names not random strings (not good for privacy but good for
testing).
4. Very simple implementation, no blockchain or decentralized storage needed

Here are some resources for did:web

Open source resolver (uses HTTP 302, no fancy document processing):
https://did-web.web.app/
Example hosting multiple did documents in a single github repo:
https://did.actor/

Next step I would recommend did:key... why?

1. Simple deterministic transformation of key material to did document data
model
2. Works offline
3. looks / feels like a ledger based did method
4. does not support update / deactivate (depending on your use case, this
might disqualify did:key)

Next step consider a ledger based did method... why?

1. use block explorers to show that your DID lives on a "real decentralized
system"
2. blockchains are slow and expensive

OS

--