Re: Clarity on DID Resolution as it refers to DID WG

On 4/20/20 4:45 PM, Justin Richer wrote:
> I am hoping we’re not as far apart on our interpretation of
> things as it might seem, and so here is my counter proposal
> to your set of conclusions on the interpretation of the
> charter bullet point list

Thanks for the concrete counter-proposal, Justin. I'll go through each
item to clarify the proposal we may want to put in front of the group:

> * It is in scope for the DID WG to normatively define the >   parameters of a concrete set of processes that>   take a DID as
input and provides a DID Document as>   output.
Agree.

> * It is in scope to normatively define the parameters
>   of a concrete set of processes that take a DID URL
>   as input and provide a resource result as output.

Agree.

> * It is in scope to make these processes take in options and
>   provide back a document along with different
>   classes of metadata (e.g., document metadata and
>   resolution metadata).

Agree.

> * It is in scope to add tests to the test suite that exercise
>   the callers of these processes and test the generation
>   of DIDs and DID URLs as well as the processing of
>   DID Documents and associated metadata.

Close. Strike "the callers". There are multiple valid ways to test this
and we should avoid painting ourselves into a corner.

> * It is out of scope to add resolution tests to the test
>   suite that exercise the generalized DID resolution
>   process in the specification on concrete DID Method
>   implementations.

Disagree.

> * It is out of scope to normatively define DID Method specific
>   details of implementing DID resolution.

Agree.

> * It is out of scope to normatively define DID Resolution
>   protocols.

Agree.

> * It is out of scope to test concrete DID Resolution
>   protocols and data formats beyond the necessary
>   process to demonstrate interoperability between the
>   test suite and an implementation.

Agree.

So, we're very close. :)

-- manu