Re: Battery Status API aligned with Mozilla's implementation

On 22.10.2011, at 5.52, ext Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Anssi Kostiainen
> <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com> wrote:
>>
>> I reworked the Battery Status spec and aligned it with Mozilla's Battery API:
>>
>>  http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/system-info/battery-status.html

[...]

> Doh! I should have read this thread first before finishing reading,
> and replying to, the other thread :-)
>
> This looks great!

Thanks! The latest draft already addressed most of your feedback, as you noticed :)

I'll reply to some of your feedback separately to make sure we've discussed through all of it.

> I'm not fully sold on the chargingState though. What problem are you
> trying to solve compared to simply exposing a boolean indicating if
> the device is plugged in or not? I agree that .charging might not be
> the best name for such a property, but naming seems like an easier
> problem to solve.

chargingState was something Mounir suggested (or just mentioned, naming aside) as an alternative design to the boolean type. We did not find any decent use cases for states yet, so we could just go with the simpler boolean. Here's a summary I wrote about charging vs. chargingState earlier:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-status/2011Oct/0014.html

-Anssi