Re: Network Information API

> On 16 Aug 2021, at 10:26 pm, Thomas Steiner <tomac@google.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 2:50 AM Marcos Caceres <marcosc@w3.org> wrote:
> Thanks for attempting to pick this up again. My opinion/advice as someone involved with this API from the beginning...
>
> Thanks a lot, greatly appreciated!

To be frank (and this is not in any way directed at you, Thomas!): After 7+ years, I think the API is now too poisoned by bad history to revive. I'd urge us to just cut our losses and see if we can just do something new/entirely different or come at this from a different angle.

Instead of focusing on the API at all, if we can get other implementers - which are noticeably absent from the cc: and possibly the working group (!) - to agree on a tiny set of use cases, I think that would be a better (re)start to this effort.

Otherwise, I worry that we are going to just fall into the "well, we all think it's a good idea" Chromium-echo-chamber, while just further frustrating and polarizing WebKit and Gecko folks with respect to the netinfo use cases. I know that's not on purpose, but that's kinda where we are (specially with anything "net info").

Kind regards,
Marcos