W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > September 2017

Draft minutes 21 Sept 2017 teleconference

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:34:32 -0400
Message-Id: <6B20A237-18DE-4F10-8411-FA124CA4AADD@fjhirsch.com>
To: W3C Devices and Sensors WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Attached are draft minutes from today's DAS teleconference, 21 Sept. Thanks Anssi for scribing.

Please note that subsequent calls will be an hour earlier, at 9am ET, same day schedule as currently.

regards, Frederick 

Frederick Hirsch
Chair, W3C Devices and Sensors WG (DAS)



[![W3C][1]][2]

# Device and Sensors Working Group Teleconference

## 21 Sep 2017

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    Anssi_Kostiainen, Mikhail_Pozdnyakov, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux,
Alexander_Shalamov, Frederick_Hirsch, Wanming_Lin, Fuqiao_Xue

Regrets


Chair

    Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    anssik, fjh

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements][6]

    2. [Minutes approval][7]

    3. [Media Capture Task Force][8]

    4. [TPAC 2017][9]

    5. [Sensor APIs][10]

    6. [Wake Lock][11]

    7. [Battery][12]

    8. [Rechartering][13]

    9. [HTML Media Capture][14]

    10. [Other Business][15]

    11. [Adjourn][16]

  * [Summary of Action Items][17]

  * [Summary of Resolutions][18]

* * *

<fjh> trackbot, start telecon

<trackbot> Meeting: Device and Sensors Working Group Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 21 September 2017

### Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements

<dom> ScribeNick: anssik

<fjh> GitHub digests

<fjh> [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0016.html][19]

<fjh> [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0019.html][20]

<fjh> review request, Vehicle Information Service Specification, Vehicle
Information API Specification

<fjh> [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0018.html][21]

fjh: there was a review request for Vehicle Information Service Specification,
Vehicle Information API Specification

dom: Web Auto WG is bringing these specs to CR soon

... two work items, i) API which is a wrapped for the ii) protocol

... would be interesting for someone with Generic Sensor expertise to review
the Web Auto WG specs, but not spend excess time on it

<fjh> anssik: early thought from Tobie was that they could use Generic Sensor
approach

<fjh> dom: TAG suggested alternate approach to use protocol; API wrapper can
be an issue

dom: TAG review feedback caused Web Auto WG to reorientate their work, started
working on a protocol-level spec

anssik: any implementations available for these specs?

dom: only experimental, but no clear on details

alexander: we'd like to review

<fjh> **ACTION:** alexander to review Automotive specifications with regards
to Generic Sensor API [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-
minutes.html#action01]][22]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-809 - Review automotive specifications with regards
to generic sensor api [on Alexander Shalamov - due 2017-09-28].

anssik: they may have some requirements that might motivate new features in
Generic Sensor v.next

<fjh> dom: we should be able to learn from this

### Minutes approval

<fjh> Approve minutes from 7 Sept 2017

<fjh> [https://www.w3.org/2017/09/07-dap-minutes.html][23]

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: Minutes from 7 Sept 2017 are approved

**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 7 Sept 2017 are approved**

### Media Capture Task Force

<fjh> Call for Consensus: discontinue joint ownership of Media Capture Task
Force, leaving to WebRTC Working Group; respond by 20 Sept 2017

<fjh> [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0017.html][24]

Call for Consensus: discontinue joint ownership of Media Capture Task Force,
leaving to WebRTC Working Group; respond by 20 Sept 2017

fjh: no concerns raised to separate the two

dom: that's my interpretation too

<fjh> **ACTION:** fjh to send email confirming CfC conclusion [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-minutes.html#action02]][25]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-810 - Send email confirming cfc conclusion [on
Frederick Hirsch - due 2017-09-28].

### TPAC 2017

<fjh> 1 hour Wed Session? Vincent to chair?

<fjh> [https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2017/SessionIdeas#Device][26]

<fjh> [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0014.html][27]

anssik: breakout will be pretty ad-hoc

### Sensor APIs

<fjh> 2 proposals:

<fjh> A - with the current spec, we could publish a CR soonish, and if the
feedback from Web developers motivate change, we might need to revise it

<fjh> B - we wait until we get that feedback, and only then publish CR

fjh: two CR publication plans

<fjh> no decision yet on A or B

<fjh> wide review for Generic Sensor API, Ambient Light Sensor, Accelerometer,
Gyroscope, Magnetometer, Orientation Sensor together

<fjh> ACTION-805?

<trackbot> ACTION-805 -- Dominique Hazaël-Massieux to Work with frederick on
getting a wide review question on sensor specs (- proximity), pointing out
motion sensors explainer -- due 2017-09-14 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/805][28]

dom: need to do wide review prior to thinking of CR publication

[https://github.com/w3c/sensors/blob/master/security-questionnaire.md][29]

security and privacy questionnaire results

alexander: I agree with dom, we should split those to separate repos

... can do that tomorrow

dom: will work with fjh on wide review logistics

<fjh> dom: will work with fjh next week, after split complete

fjh: why not include proximity in the wide review?

dom: too many documents in review, will probably mean less focus on specs that
are further down the process

[https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/#roadmap][30]

fjh: who'd be the usual suspects to review this work

dom: we discussed this on last call, so we have a list of groups to target

<fjh> ACTION-806?

<trackbot> ACTION-806 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Get in touch with webvr cg on
wide review of motion sensor specs -- due 2017-09-14 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/806][31]

anssik: please include explainer in the review, good background

[https://intel.github.io/generic-sensor-demos/vr-button/build/bundled/][32]

[https://github.com/intel/generic-sensor-demos/tree/master/vr-
button/build/bundled][33]

anssik: also WebVR polyfill could benefit from the low-level sensors

<fjh> community group, anssik will send informal request

anssik: one concrete use case would be to enable magnetic input in WebVR using
Magnetometer

fjh: we're ready for wide review

... status of the open issues?

... after wide review completed, go to CR, how to deal with open issues

... assess where we are in terms of open issues

... going to wide review equals last call in the old process

### Wake Lock

<fjh> Plan: wide review before transition to CR, deadline 30 Sept, then CR

<fjh> [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2017JulSep/0104.html][34]

<fjh> wait until review period ends then progress

### Battery

<fjh> status? PR #13 in review, after landed and implemented in Chrome, can
publish revised CR

fjh: current status?

<fjh> ACTION-808?

<trackbot> ACTION-808 -- Dominique Hazaël-Massieux to Look into the need to
get wide review of revised battery -- due 2017-09-14 -- OPEN

<xfq> ScribeNick: fjh

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/808][35]

anssik: mounir looking to see how often cross iframe battery cases are used

... others are ok with it

<anssik> That is, in an A->B->A embedding scenario, both the top-level and the
innermost frame would be able to use the battery API. With feature policy, the
inner frame wouldn't be allowed to use it, unless the top-level doc granted it
to the middle frame, which then further granted it to the inner one.

anssik: have integrated spec with feature policy

... will wait a week or two for feedback, then merge

... then go to CR and await additional browser implementations

<dom> [Feature Policy status in Chrome platform status - indicates public
support from Edge][36]

fjh: go to CR end Oct

<dom> [Microsoft stance on the spec][37]

### Rechartering

<xfq> ScribeNick: anssik

[https://github.com/w3c/dap-charter/][38]

[http://w3c.github.io/dap-charter/DeviceAPICharter.html][39]

<dom> [https://github.com/w3c/dap-charter/issues][40]

<fjh> 3, 30, 29 issues of scope are substantive

dom: substantial issue: 1) scope, whether to integrate WebNFC, WebUSB,
environmental sensors

<fjh> dom suggests answer should be no

<fjh> anssi: NFC is higher level api than last time

dom: I asked Vincent about his breakout session at TPAC, and whether that
would have impact on the rechartering i.e. whether to do more work in DAS or
not

<fjh> **ACTION:** fjh to review charter [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-minutes.html#action03]][41]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-811 - Review charter [on Frederick Hirsch - due
2017-09-28].

dom: apart from that the charter is ready for W3M review

... heads up, if there are issues that need further discussion, good time to
raise now

fjh: I'm looking track whether W3C wants megagroups or smaller focused

dom: there's no policy on that

fjh: how does the chair selection work

dom: in general, charters are reviewed with expected chair

... plan, work next week on admin tasks, early October bring to W3M

[https://services.w3.org/htmldiff?doc1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2016%2F03
%2Fdevice-sensors-wg-charter.html&doc2=http%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fdap-
charter%2FDeviceAPICharter.html][42]

### HTML Media Capture

<dom> [HTML Media Capture "This Candidate Recommendation is expected to
advance to Proposed Recommendation no earlier than 30 October 2017. "][43]

### Other Business

<wanming> sorry, the line is very noise, I can't hear clearly.

<fjh> we discussed moving the call an hour earlier, any concern?

anssik: +1

<wanming> no, it's great

<fjh> ScribeNick: fjh

**RESOLUTION: move DAS call 1 hour earlier, e.g. 9am ET, on same schedule**

fjh: Dom and Fuqiao to update DAS calendar and webex accordingly

### Adjourn

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** alexander to review Automotive specifications with
regards to Generic Sensor API [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-
minutes.html#action01][44]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to review charter [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-minutes.html#action03][45]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to send email confirming CfC conclusion [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-minutes.html#action02][46]]


## Summary of Resolutions

  1. [Minutes from 7 Sept 2017 are approved][47]

  2. [move DAS call 1 hour earlier, e.g. 9am ET, on same schedule][48]

[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][49] version 1.144 ([CVS
log][50])

$Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34 $

   [1]: https://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0020.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #item08

   [14]: #item09

   [15]: #item10

   [16]: #item11

   [17]: #ActionSummary

   [18]: #ResolutionSummary

   [19]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0016.html

   [20]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0019.html

   [21]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0018.html

   [22]: http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-minutes.html#action01]

   [23]: https://www.w3.org/2017/09/07-dap-minutes.html

   [24]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0017.html

   [25]: http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-minutes.html#action02]

   [26]: https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2017/SessionIdeas#Device

   [27]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Sep/0014.html

   [28]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/805

   [29]: https://github.com/w3c/sensors/blob/master/security-questionnaire.md

   [30]: https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/#roadmap

   [31]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/806

   [32]: https://intel.github.io/generic-sensor-demos/vr-button/build/bundled/

   [33]: https://github.com/intel/generic-sensor-demos/tree/master/vr-
button/build/bundled

   [34]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2017JulSep/0104.html

   [35]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/808

   [36]: https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5694225681219584

   [37]: https://github.com/WICG/feature-policy/issues/62

   [38]: https://github.com/w3c/dap-charter/

   [39]: http://w3c.github.io/dap-charter/DeviceAPICharter.html

   [40]: https://github.com/w3c/dap-charter/issues

   [41]: http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-minutes.html#action03]

   [42]:
https://services.w3.org/htmldiff?doc1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2016%2F03
%2Fdevice-sensors-wg-charter.html&doc2=http%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fdap-
charter%2FDeviceAPICharter.html

   [43]: https://www.w3.org/TR/html-media-capture/

   [44]: http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [45]: http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-minutes.html#action03

   [46]: http://www.w3.org/2017/09/21-dap-minutes.html#action02

   [47]: #resolution01

   [48]: #resolution02

   [49]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [50]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/




Received on Thursday, 21 September 2017 15:34:59 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:33:39 UTC