Re: Proposal from Web-based Signage BG

Hi Tanaka-san, Web-based Signage BG members,

Thank you for your proposal.

I'd ask you to kindly provide us further information by responding to a couple of questions that were raised in initial discussions with DAS WG participants.

First, we observe your charter proposes two normative deliverables [1], and we focus on them, namely:

Power Status Management
Contextual Information

# General comments

We are not clear whether the proposed APIs are signage-specific. It seems they are not meant to be implemented in a typical user agent, that is a web browser running on a mobile device or desktop.

The DAS WG Charter [2] states that:

[[

APIs that cannot be demonstrated to be implementable securely within the default browser context will not be released.

]]

That suggests the proposed APIs might be out of scope for DAS WG given its current charter.

# Power Status Management

There is no input draft for the Power Status Management deliverable. The DAS charter explicitly states [2]:

[[

The Working Group will not adopt new proposals until they have matured through the Web Platform Incubator Community Group or another similar incubation phase.

]]

We would prefer to see incubated drafts for any deliverables considered to be added to the DAS WG Charter.

We encourage you to review the Battery Status API [3] and evaluate whether it satisfies your requirements with respect to Power Status Management. You could also propose extensions to the said specification if they are not signage-specific, that is address a generic requirement that is not signage-specific. Feel free to open such feature requests directly on the specification's GitHub repo.

# Contextual Information

[Comments based on the input draft [4] linked to from the charter proposal.]

We have a concern that the proposed API exposes a fingerprinting vector (see [5]) and feel the use case [6] would be better addressed using a different mechanism. We would like to hear what are your plans to mitigate the fingerprinting issue.

We also observe the spec targets a class of devices called "web-runtime" [7] distinct from a web browser. As noted earlier, the DAS WG is scoped to develop APIs implementable in web browsers.