Re: [wake-lock] Candidate Rec blockers

Hi All,

I'm happy to let you know the group has now addressed the CR blockers. Details below.

> On 18 Oct 2017, at 10.27, Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com> wrote:
>
> At our latest teleconference, we charted a plan [1] to transition Wake Lock API [2] to Candidate Recommendation.
>
> Looking into this, I have identified two issues for which we need clarity on prior to asking for a transition to CR, in particular, with respect to the following transition requirement [3]:
>
> [[
>
> * must document how adequate implementation experience will be demonstrated
>
> ]]
>
> The issues identified are the following:
>
> * There are no web-platform-tests [4] for Wake Lock API. It is strongly recommended to ship at minimum a preliminary test suite along with a CR spec. Blink's tests could be potentially used as a starting point, but would need to be reworked to align with the latest spec.

Preliminary web-platform-tests have been created:

https://w3c-test.org/wake-lock/
https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/tree/master/wake-lock

See the meta issue tracking remaining work (not blocking the CR):

https://github.com/w3c/wake-lock/issues/111

> * The only known implementation [5] is based on an earlier version of the specification. The specification was since reworked substantially and the implementation is no longer aligned. We'd need to demonstrate these changes are implementable, or that they will not cause difficulty of implementation.

The work on the implementation has resumed:

https://crbug.com/257511

> We're looking for volunteers to help with the above-mentioned tasks to allow the Wake Lock API spec to advance to CR.

Thanks to the "CR Blocker Resolution Task Force": Mikhail for spec patches, Marcos for reviews, Wanming for w-p-t contributions, and Mrunal for the Chrome implementation update that is currently in progress.

And of course, huge thanks to the spec editors Andrey, Ilya, and Marcos who have diligently edited this specification for over 2.5 years. After numerous WD updates the spec is now about to advance to CR:

https://www.w3.org/standards/history/wake-lock

Furthermore, we have hit another milestone by addressing all "v1" spec issues. This is a prerequisite for advancing the spec to CR (thanks Dom for pointing this out!). The remaining issues are v2 feature #84 and meta issue tracking w-p-t test progress #111:

https://github.com/w3c/wake-lock/issues

The next step is a Call for Consensus to request publication of a Candidate Recommendation. I will send a CfC mail to the group's mailing list in the coming days.