W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > November 2015

Draft minutes from teleconference 12 Nov 2015

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 11:04:27 -0500
To: W3C Device APIs WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Message-Id: <D70A60F7-2252-4A65-8718-A452F503ABF3@fjhirsch.com>
Attached are draft minutes from today's  teleconference, 12 Nov 2015. I scribed.

Thanks all for attending. The next teleconference is 3 Dec.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Chair, W3C Device APIs WG (DAP)

www.fjhirsch.com
@fjhirsch



[![W3C][1]][2]

# Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

## 12 Nov 2015

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    Frederick_Hirsch, Tobie_Langel, Dom, Giri_Mandyam

Regrets

    Anssi_Kostiainen, Mats_Wichmann

Chair

    Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    fjh

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements][6]

    2. [Minutes approval][7]

    3. [HTML Media Capture][8]

    4. [TPAC Recap][9]

    5. [Charter][10]

    6. [other TPAC][11]

    7. [Upcoming Meetings][12]

    8. [Other Business][13]

    9. [Adjourn][14]

  * [Summary of Action Items][15]

  * [Summary of Resolutions][16]

* * *

### Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

FPWD of Generic Sensor API published, 15 October, see [http://www.w3.org/TR
/generic-sensor/][17]

### Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 15 Oct 2015

proposed RESOLUTION: Minutes from 15 Oct 2015 are approved,
[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Oct/att-0037/minutes-2015-10-15.html][18]

**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 15 Oct 2015 are approved,
[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Oct/att-0037/minutes-2015-10-15.html][18]**

### HTML Media Capture

fjh: change to Normative text, so can return to another CR under the new
process

... Will do 1 week CfC for return to CR

dom: transition request needed but likely no call needed

### TPAC Recap

Minutes from F2F ad hoc session, [http://www.w3.org/2015/10/27-dap-
minutes.html][19]

Minutes from breakout [http://www.w3.org/2015/10/28-dap-minutes.html][20]

fjh: who is Riju

tobie: working on ambient light with generic sensor API, at Intel

fjh: PresentationAvailability sounded interesting

tobie: quick summary, Dom and Giri were there

... well-received

... high quality conversations

... questions related to key area of spec that needed work, confirming areas
to work on

... agreement that spec is at right level and agreement to defer discovery
since it is complex, no good use cases shipping today for that

... likely related to work on bluetooth and IoT

... also talked to automotive group, they also joined ad hoc meeting

... gave short presentation for IoT group, which seems at a more theoretical
point right now

... I2C and GPIO was presented in plenary

... key takeaways - doing right thing and that there is interest

fjh: asking about timing

tobie: riju on holiday from 6 Dec to january, but has started working on the
WebIDL now

... expecting to have major part of that set before holiday, then work on
implementation in Jan, goal of late Q1

... should be able to get implementation experience

fjh: and your plans on issues, how does that fit?

tobie: either listen for change or get entire stream of data, two alternatives

... ambient light is 1st

... using threshholds

... stream of data, device orientation would give us this, but no
implementation in place right now

... could be issue for defining spec

fjh: is fusion related

tobie: the more the fusion the more likely 1st case but still need to consider
high performance cases

... hard to split work

fjh: would like to understand the changes to the spec and when we should
publish again

tobie: thinking about what we can take out of spec , and will work soon on
some clarifications

... reading algorithm will be difficult without tackling device orientation

... will continue on what can be done, noting issues that remain. Experience
from Riju should help

... can underspecify part of algorithm, let device orientation specify it, or
have another level of the spec later once we have implementer feedback

gmandyam: device orientation could have LC based on some changes, so should be
able to wrap up the spec, that should enable working on new version based on
generic sensor API

fjh: any other ways people in group can help with this work

tobie: feedback on algorithms after I do update will be helpful

... working to get this for Jan if I can, not sure of personal availability

fjh: are TAG members aware of this work, should we share with them

tobie: should send to TAG review

... ok on security side, concerned about privacy side

... API design aspect relates to TAG

fjh: probably early, wait for Jan revision with implementation experience

... agree to reference fingerprinting document

tobie: more like guidance

fjh: can ask PING later for review

tobie: automotive concerned about timeline

<tobie> [https://github.com/w3c/automotive/issues/72][21]

tobie: they seem to have similar issues to Generic Sensor API, e.g frequency
of sensor polling, what if asking for frequency higher than sensor can handle

... will depend on maturity of our spec, other specs will have same problem

... expect it to be similar for IoT group

... timing may work out naturally, once other groups realize the issues are
difficult

fjh: anything else useful to discuss today?

tobie: the spec will describe how to read data from a local sensor; how will
Web of Things relate?

... not sure how to handle at spec level

... do we need subclass of Generic Sensor that is local sensor

fjh: good to create an issue; will depend on what Web of Things becomes, need
to coordinate

tobie: looks like that might happen later

... work right now is on protocol handshakes etc

... concern is whether we should consider local and remote sensors the same
way

fjh: could have generic sensor spec and a different spec on how to share over
the network

... would be good to avoid dependency and have a separate spec for remote
access, would simplify etc

tobie: agree, should defer until we have a well-defined issue

fjh: automotive will have this issue

tobie: yes, but they aren't implementing that yet

### Charter

dom: under W3C management review, have small set of pull requests, plan is to
finalize management review, share pull requests with group then start formal
AC review

### other TPAC

dom: bluetooth and NFC likely to become WGs later this year, similarity to
questions on privacy and security

### Upcoming Meetings

fjh: Please note that next meeting is 3 Dec then after a holiday break we have
meeting 7 January

... see [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html][22]

### Other Business

none

### Adjourn

## Summary of Action Items

## Summary of Resolutions

  1. [Minutes from 15 Oct 2015 are approved,
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Oct/att-0037/minutes-2015-10-15.html][23]

[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][24] version 1.143 ([CVS
log][25])

$Date: 2015-03-19 14:02:36 $

   [1]: /Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Nov/0005.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2015/11/12-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #item08

   [14]: #item09

   [15]: #ActionSummary

   [16]: #ResolutionSummary

   [17]: http://www.w3.org/TR/generic-sensor/

   [18]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Oct/att-0037/minutes-2015-10-15.html

   [19]: http://www.w3.org/2015/10/27-dap-minutes.html

   [20]: http://www.w3.org/2015/10/28-dap-minutes.html

   [21]: https://github.com/w3c/automotive/issues/72

   [22]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html

   [23]: #resolution01

   [24]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [25]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/



Received on Thursday, 12 November 2015 16:05:01 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:54:07 UTC