[html-media-capture] Mismatched Editors Draft & Candidate Recommendation

[+public-device-apis]

Hi Kyle,

> On 09 Nov 2015, at 22:10, Fox, Kyle <Kyle.Fox@fisglobal.com> wrote:
>
> While reviewing the candidate recommendation status document for HTML Media Capture located here:http://www.w3.org/TR/html-media-capture/, I noticed that it does not match the editors draft published on the same date: http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/.

Thanks for reviewing the spec and reporting the issues. First, I've fixed the date of the Editor's Draft that was incorrect.

> Specifically, the fourth bullet item under the capture attribute:

[...]

The Editor's Draft added this fourth assertion after the Candidate Rec was published based on feedback [1], and the group agreed to the proposal [2] (diff at [3]) to amend the spec as follows:

[[

When the capture attribute is specified, the user agent must not save the captured media to any data storage, local or remote.

NOTE
When scripts gain access to the files selected from the file picker (represented by a FileList object), they can use various mechanisms to store the captured media. These mechanisms are out of scope for this specification.

]]

> Would it be possible to help me understand if the editors draft item in green will eventually get published into the candidate recommendation?

Frederick - do you think we should publish another CR without going back to LC? The diff to current CR is [3].

> I’ve noticed that some devices (windows phone & blackberry) are storing captured media to the camera roll, which is undesirable under certain circumstances for security reasons.  Since the item in green above does not appear in the published, candidate-recommendation status spec, I believe those browsers are in compliance as we stand today.  But I’m hoping that the item in green will migrate to the CR specification in the future.

On a related note, I believe we're currently lacking another fully conforming implementation for the spec that'd be shipping widely to be able to advance the spec beyond CR. Chrome for Android has shipped the feature for ~1.5 years or so. Last time I checked [4], no response from Mozilla, and Edge team indicated this was not on their roadmap currently.

If some Mozillian feels image capture on the Web is an important use case and should be easier than it is today, feel free to resurrect the related Moz Bug 741393 [5].

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Oct/0022.html

[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Oct/0026.html

[3] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2009/dap/camera/Overview.src.html.diff?r1=1.13;r2=1.14;f=h

[4] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/734