Re: Cordova update

dom <mailto:dom@w3.org> wrote:
>Is there any chance you could provide a few additional information, in
>particular:
>* a link to the list of tasks for battery alignment?

I don't think such a thing exists

>* are there well-known reasons why nobody is picking this up?

> I could think of several possibilities:

> our API wouldn't work as a replacement;
>the usage of Promises is a hinderance;

Promises turns out to be an odd problem. Some of the cordova developers
don't want to pull in a Promises library, because we don't want people to
depend on a given library / don't want to have to maintain the penalty for
one / don't want to deal w/ the tooling for it.

In some (possibly short) period, all of our target platforms will include
Promises, so at that point, this edge goes away, otoh, at that point,
presumably everyone we're targeting has native Battery as a Promise, in
which case there's still nothing for us to do.

The Battery plugin could individually include its own promise library just
for shimming on older pre-battery-promises targets, but that's not a
particularly exciting corner of the world.

And again, there's the concern "do we want to have 20 promises libraries
running around in an app, one for each plugin".

So, there is a tooling challenge here — that we haven't figured out how to
address (at all).

> alignment for that API is not a priority for anyone;

>battery is not high on anyone list, etc.

Offhand, I think it's mostly this one.

There aren't that many Cordova developers (there are many more app authors
who use Cordova).

Right now most work is focussed on getting Cordova to support alternate
web browser engines on Android, and various other "big" things (being able
to create a Cordova project for a platform where the platform's
prerequisites aren't available, so that someone can send it to someone
else and have it get built there).