W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > September 2014

[admin] Draft minutes 2014-09-04 teleconference

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 11:26:13 -0400
Message-Id: <A370F1F9-72ED-466F-B31A-695944C0B546@fjhirsch.com>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
To: Device APIs Working Group <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Attached are draft minutes from todays DAP teleconference, 2014-09-04. I scribed.

Please send any corrections to the list before our next call, 9 Oct.  Please note that weve canceled the calls on 16 Oct and 30 Oct (TPAC).

Thanks

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair DAP
@fjhirsch



[![W3C][1]][2]

# Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

## 04 Sep 2014

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    Frederick_Hirsch, Anssi_Kostiainen, Mats_Wichmann, Dominique_Hazael-
Massieux, Lisa_DeLuca, Cathy_Chan

Regrets


Chair

    Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    fjh

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements][6]

    2. [Minutes approval][7]

    3. [CR publication of HTML Media Capture, Vibration][8]

    4. [LC Battery publication][9]

    5. [Ambient Light][10]

    6. [Wake Lock][11]

    7. [Charter planning][12]

    8. [Network Service Discovery][13]

    9. [Meeting Schedule][14]

    10. [Action and Issue review][15]

    11. [Cordova][16]

    12. [Adjourn][17]

  * [Summary of Action Items][18]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 04 September 2014

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

### Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

Reminder, TPAC registration is open (however, DAP has no plans to meet)
[http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/][19]

### Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 21 August 2014

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Aug/att-0050/minutes-2014-08-21.html][20]

**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 21 August 2014 are approved**

### CR publication of HTML Media Capture, Vibration

Plan publication Tue 9 Sept, crEnd 12 Nov 2014 ;
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Sep/0010.html][21]

Vibration test cases updated [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
device-apis/2014Sep/0007.html][22]

test cases approved [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0008.html][23]

fjh: CR approved, I have made the publication request. Can we move to PR
quickly once crEnd

dom: to go to PR we need to make test suite complete for Vibration

fjh: we need a transtion call for PR

dom: yes, need to prepare that

... question of how and why applies to implementations without vibrator

... know spec speaks to it

<dom> dom: we should document in our implementation report how desktop
browsers implement the vibration API

<dom> ... (where presumably there is no vibrator)

fjh: anssik are you able to document this?

anssik: desktop browsers don't ship with vibration hardware, as long as test
shows green in test report, that should be enough

dom: need to document that we've verified that they work correctly , need to
add column in implementation report for 1 or 2 desktop browsers

<scribe> **ACTION:** Zhiqiang to update implmentation report to clarify
explicitly which tests are for desktop or mobile [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action01][24]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-714 - Update implmentation report to clarify
explicitly which tests are for desktop or mobile [on Zhiqiang Zhang - due
2014-09-11].

dom: have two separate tables, one for devices with a vibrator, and one for
devices without, e.g. desktop

ACTION-714: have two separate tables, one for devices with a vibrator, and one
for devices without, e.g. desktop

<trackbot> Notes added to ACTION-714 Update implmentation report to clarify
explicitly which tests are for desktop or mobile.

<anssik> [http://w3c.github.io/test-results/vibration/all.html][25]

ACTION-714: verify and add note to implementation report that desktop devices
also pass tests

<trackbot> Notes added to ACTION-714 Update implmentation report to clarify
explicitly which tests are for desktop or mobile.

dom: anssi, will you be working with Zhiqiang on this

anssik: yes, will talk to him

fjh: also please thank him for the test case work

### LC Battery publication

LC published, LC ends 2 Oct [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
device-apis/2014Aug/0068.html][26]

LC-2965, [https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-battery-
status-20140828/2965][27]

fjh: concern discussed on list whether there should be separate APIs or larger
sensor API

... responded, added wiki with history and
rationale:[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0012.html][28]

... do not think we need to restart, we have already progressed, new design in
v.next could be used

<dom> dom: agreed we should proceed with the API as is

dom: agree to not restart, have two implementations

<dom> ... might not be perfect, but there is inteerst from 2 implementors with
the API as is

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to mention remark on security reviews and to move to
PR

<dom> ... we can always look into a v2 API if needed

anssik: agree with dom, no technical issue that needs to be fixed, more a
matter of taste, not a good reason to restart so late in game

fjh: time to respond to LC comment

dom: CfC might be approriate

fjh: will do CfC

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to send CfC to close LC-2965 with proposal to
continue existing Battery API with v.next if needed [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action02][29]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-715 - Send cfc to close lc-2965 with proposal to
continue existing battery api with v.next if needed [on Frederick Hirsch - due
2014-09-11].

### Ambient Light

ISSUE-170?

<trackbot> ISSUE-170 -- light levels are not retrievable until a change causes
the devicelight event to fire. -- open

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/170][30]

see [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Aug/0058.html][31]

fjh: this thread has been progressing but seems to have stopped

... this work is taking time since we only have one implementation

... any more action we can do

<anssik> [https://github.com/rwaldron/sensors][32]

anssik: waiting for more input, have seen concrete proposal

… some issues, cannot describe in WebIDL, non global constructors for example

… but most complete re-design we have now

… WebIDL is limited for javascript

fjh: I think WebIDL should be make Javascript specific and enhanced in that
way, but this is an aside

anssi: suggestions?

dom: should use WebIDL where you can, best practice when you cannot use it,
suggest changes to WebIDL

… otherewise use prose if needed

anssi: elsehwere any constructor that is not a global, cannot find precedent

<anssik> Sensor.AmbientLight

anssik: this is a contructor, cannot define in WebIDL

dom: can't you ???

anssik: looked on mailing list, ,found some similar needs elsehwere, did not
see solution

dom: then you know more than me

... ask on public-script-coord

anssik: big backlog of WebIDL features

dom: ask on public-script-coord list, and use prose for now

<scribe> **ACTION:** dom to add rwalron as invited expert to DAP group
[recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action03][33]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-716 - Add rwalron as invited expert to dap group [on
Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due 2014-09-11].

anssik: could ask him to co-edit if interest as well

dom: ok, will work with him

### Wake Lock

Discussion is happening on public-script-coord list until 1st DAP submission
draft ready, see

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2014JulSep/][34]

fjh: I've asked if this should come on the DAP list, marcos suggested it stay
there until a submission draft is ready

... so follow that list if interested for now

### Charter planning

fjh: repeat of what I said on last call

<anssik> re "An API for requesting and managing user permissions to use device
features"

Charter expires year end, revised draft charter needed by end of October.

request for input: [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Aug/0042.html][35]

Discussion - need for broader changes; plans for addition of new deliverables
(discuss CfC for individual additions)

fjh: so far I'm not hearing a call for broader changes

anssik: in community there is interest toward permissions API

<dom> [Mounir's proposal on Permissions API][36]

… might want to consider including

<dom> (our latest work on a permission API [http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/api-
perms/)][37]

fjh: my understanding is that Mounir's proposal is a very thin layer, not
defining the mechanism of permissioning underneath, but rather providing an
API to unify handling of prompts or whatever is underneath

anssik: yes

fjh: so different than what DAP started with, but in scope of DAP

anssik: could consider

fjh: already in charter

dom: no need to change charter

anssik: what is degree of implementer interest

dom: apple not member of group, but not clear

fjh: we can let this deveop on the list, any action needed?

dom: should note on WebApps list that DAP can do this if needed, already in
charter

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to note on WebApps list that this is alreadyin DAP
charter, so could be done in DAP if needed, Permissions API [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action04][38]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-717 - Note on webapps list that this is alreadyin
dap charter, so could be done in dap if needed, permissions api [on Frederick
Hirsch - due 2014-09-11].

### Network Service Discovery

<dom> [Rich summary of NSD status][39]

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Sep/0018.html][40]

dom: mail ends with questions

So feedback from group participants - both implementers and developers

- would be welcome on the following questions:

1. Is generic network service discovery and communications

bootstrapping important for the web?

2. Does this group want to continue working on a generic network

service discovery and communications bootstrap mechanism?

3. Does this group want to continue working on this against the

current API proposal [2]?

4. Have we reasonably addressed the above security concerns for the

current API proposal [2]?

5. Does anyone have additional plans and/or a roadmap to share

relating to this feature?

dom: might want some feedback from Web & TV group

... rich can provide some implementer interest feedback

... group response/thread to message

### Meeting Schedule

Next meeting, scheduled for 18 Sept, [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html
#upcoming-teleconferences][41]

proposal to cancel 16 Oct and 30 Oct (TPAC)

Suggestion - schedule call for 9 Oct

<dom> works for me

<mats> +1 for me

**RESOLUTION: can 16 Oct and 30 Oct teleconferences, add teleconference 9
Oct**

### Action and Issue review

ACTION-712?

<trackbot> ACTION-712 -- Dominique Hazaël-Massieux to Look into chartering
extensibility -- due 2014-08-28 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/712][42]

fjh: how to add deliverables once we have existing charter

ACTION-711?

<trackbot> ACTION-711 -- Dominique Hazaël-Massieux to Arrange director
transition call for cr for html media capture, light, vibration before 28 aug
planned publication date -- due 2014-08-28 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/711][43]

close ACTION-711

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-711.

ACTION-713?

<trackbot> ACTION-713 -- Frederick Hirsch to Follow up on status of network
service discovery and plans going forward, also named web sockets -- due
2014-08-28 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/713][44]

close ACTION-713

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-713.

### Cordova

lisa: all vibration changes are live for Cordova, vibration fully aligned, now
will look at Battery status

dom: anything we can do to help with battery?

lisa: will see degree of alignment, summarize and then ask for help

### Adjourn

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** dom to add rwalron as invited expert to DAP group
[recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action03][33]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to note on WebApps list that this is alreadyin DAP
charter, so could be done in DAP if needed, Permissions API [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action04][38]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to send CfC to close LC-2965 with proposal to
continue existing Battery API with v.next if needed [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action02][29]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Zhiqiang to update implmentation report to clarify
explicitly which tests are for desktop or mobile [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action01][24]]


[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][45] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][46])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0013.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #item08

   [14]: #item09

   [15]: #item10

   [16]: #item11

   [17]: #item12

   [18]: #ActionSummary

   [19]: http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

   [20]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Aug/att-0050/minutes-2014-08-21.html

   [21]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0010.html

   [22]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0007.html

   [23]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0008.html

   [24]: http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [25]: http://w3c.github.io/test-results/vibration/all.html

   [26]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Aug/0068.html

   [27]: https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-battery-
status-20140828/2965

   [28]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0012.html

   [29]: http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action02

   [30]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/170

   [31]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Aug/0058.html

   [32]: https://github.com/rwaldron/sensors

   [33]: http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action03

   [34]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2014JulSep/

   [35]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Aug/0042.html

   [36]: http://www.w3.org/mid/1409665898.958678.162617421.41145326@webmail.me
ssagingengine.com

   [37]: http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/api-perms/)

   [38]: http://www.w3.org/2014/09/04-dap-minutes.html#action04

   [39]: http://www.w3.org/mid/CAAsrAZB6UOexzwG3VODMmrGMprCJXLYggxgojAWvMjCmyx
Gr3g@mail.gmail.com

   [40]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0018.html

   [41]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html#upcoming-teleconferences

   [42]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/712

   [43]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/711

   [44]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/713

   [45]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [46]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/


Received on Thursday, 4 September 2014 15:26:43 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:33:12 UTC