W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > October 2014

Draft minutes 2014-10-02 teleconference

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 11:03:07 -0400
Message-Id: <98E1EF95-A93B-4096-93B3-858860322BB2@fjhirsch.com>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
To: W3C Device APIs WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Attached are draft minutes from today’s  teleconference (2014-10-02). I scribed.

We cancelled next week’s call. The next call is scheduled after TPAC, 13 November. Please use the mail list in the meantime (e.g. for status updates, technical discussion, issues, proposals etc)

Thanks

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair DAP
@fjhirsch

[![W3C][1]][2]

# Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

## 02 Oct 2014

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    Anssi_Kostiainen(IRC), Cathy_Chan, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux,
Frederick_Hirsch, Mats_Wichmann, Giri_Mandyam

Regrets


Chair

    Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    fjh

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements][6]

    2. [Minutes approval][7]

    3. [TPAC][8]

    4. [Privacy Workshop on Privacy and User-Centric Controls][9]

    5. [Battery][10]

    6. [HTML Media Capture][11]

    7. [Ambient Light Events][12]

    8. [Vibration API][13]

    9. [Chartering][14]

    10. [Upcoming Meetings][15]

    11. [Action Review][16]

    12. [Other Business][17]

    13. [Adjourn][18]

  * [Summary of Action Items][19]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 02 October 2014

### Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

<scribe> **ACTION:** dom to check on call-in access to TPAC plenary day
breakout sessions, e.g. web api for health care sensors, next steps for web of
things [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-dap-
minutes.html#action01][20]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-721 - Check on call-in access to tpac plenary day
breakout sessions, e.g. web api for health care sensors, next steps for web of
things [on Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due 2014-10-09].

Welcome to James from Tencent: [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
device-apis/2014Sep/0093.html][21]

### Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 18 September 2014

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/att-0067/minutes-2014-09-18.html][22]

proposed RESOLUTION: Minutes from 18 September 2014 are approved

**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 18 September 2014 are approved**

### TPAC

Breakout on Web API for Health Care sensors, [http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2014/
SessionIdeas#Web_API_for_Health_Care_Sensors][23]

"Determine interest in 'Web API for Health Care Sensors' topic & possible next
steps (e.g. workshop/Community Group/IG) , discuss background/scope"

fjh: I have set up this session to be at the high level think it has value to
understand higher level, requirements and vertical

... I have gotten feedback that maybe we do not need this session since it
could be part of Bluetooth LE CG etc

... my response is that although that is relevant it is too low level to go
straight to protocol, need to better understand application, requirements and
higher level which is what this session is for

dom: agree ; could invite Bluetooth CG to present to get that input but also
valuable to understand higher level issues and needs

... for example privacy

... what other platforms do in this space, such as Apple Healthkit

... agree bluetooth is part of the solution but too eearly to say if entire
solution

... need more info, should set expectations in advance.

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to follow up on inviting Bluetooth CG presentation at
breakout [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-dap-
minutes.html#action02][24]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-722 - Follow up on inviting bluetooth cg
presentation at breakout [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2014-10-09].

fjh: are breakouts an hour

dom: yes

see also Trust and Permissions in the Open Web Platform breakout

also Next Steps for the Web of Things looks interesting

TPAC registration deadline 8 October 2014,
[http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/][25]

### Privacy Workshop on Privacy and User-Centric Controls

Call for Participation "W3C Workshop on Privacy and User–Centric Controls"
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Sep/0091.html][26]

fjh: this is relevant to what we have done in DAP, will be relevant and useful
to see what the latest thinking is, maybe some useful approaches

... anssik, do you know anyone that would be interested in submitting a
position paper and/or participating in this privacy workshop?

### Battery

fjh: Cordova Update, other updates?

... Lisa not on call so will continue

<anssik> fjh, we've informed our internal people

fjh: anssik, thanks

### HTML Media Capture

Follow up on test case errors, and appropriate contacts for Firefox and
Chromium: [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ImplementationStatus][27]

Are more tests required to covert Cathy Chan's comments? (I believe this has
been done and implementation page can be updated, please confirm)

[https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/306#issuecomment-39578557][28]

fjh: anssik, do you have any update on HTML Media Capture, do you know correct
contacts? I sent email to Mounir and Raphael da Costa

<anssik> fjh, I replied to the thread with information

fjh: anssik, I must have missed that email, will check

<anssik> fjh, there's a patch that should be landed in Q4 that will fix the
issue

<anssik> fjh, the test failures are due to the fact that Chrome/Blink is not
fully WebIDL spec conformant yet, specifically, "DOM attributes should be
moved to prototype chains and should expose JavaScript getters/setters".

<anssik> patch to fix that [http://crbug.com/43394][29]

anssik, when will that patch be implemented and how will we know

<anssik> fjh, the owner says in the bug that he'll try to get that landed in
Q4

<anssik> if you look at the bug, it's been open for 4 years now

<anssik> it is a rather complex and intrusive change, must poke V8 here and
there

<anssik> the update from the owner 6 days ago: "I'm working on this when I
have a cycle (and aiming at completing it by the end of Q4)."

fjh: sounds to me that this means we cannot complete HTML Media Capture this
year, the tests will not be complete this year

dom: right, tests will not complete this year, could progress document, if we
agree to reduce WebIDL dependency

<anssik> fjh, FWIW, this is a generic idlharness.js blocker

dom: however if we truly think this WebIDL issue will be addressed this year
then can wait

anssik, do you have a degree of confidence on whether this will truly be
addressed this year

<anssik> ... or better, a bug in Chromium that means all the tests using
idlharness.js will show red for similar tests

dom: some groups have avoided limitation by demoting WebIDL dependency but
then we need to go back to LC

<anssik> fjh, I trust in the owner's judgement that he can land this

<anssik> also Web Components folks want this fix landed increasing the
probability that will happen

dom: can decide to use WebIDL only for syntax not semantics, e.g. like
geolocation

fjh: anssik, thanks, so it sounds we can have confidence in patch landing this
year, so no need to start workaround

<anssik> just try a random test suite in Chrome from w-p-t and it will show
red for similar reasons

fjh: if we delay a bit and go forward early next year that should work

dom: sounds good to me

cathy: two parts to comment, first part closed

... second part, verifying that when you have capture, that if user decides
no, that you have no file

... not sure this part tested

<scribe> **ACTION:** zhiqiang to add test for user denial of captured file
leading to no capture [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-dap-
minutes.html#action03][30]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-723 - Add test for user denial of captured file
leading to no capture [on Zhiqiang Zhang - due 2014-10-09].

anssik, Please note I also gave action to zhiqiang re cathy potential
additional test needed

### Ambient Light Events

fjh: believe we are waiting for proposal from Rick. Anything else to add?

anssik, have you been in contact with Rick about this?

<anssik> the redesign is a major thing, takes time

<anssik> I'd like to get the right people together to work on it, having Rick
in the group is a great start

fjh: right, interested to know if it is in progress, however

... good to know if work has started and who is involved.

### Vibration API

Reminder, CfC Vibration API test report correct and complete; respond by 7
October

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Sep/0074.html][31]

### Chartering

fjh: Update or discussion?

... not sure we need to discuss

ACTION-712?

<trackbot> ACTION-712 -- Dominique Hazaël-Massieux to Look into chartering
extensibility -- due 2014-09-18 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/712][32]

dom: plan to work on this before TPAC

fjh: topic for chairs breakfast or focus first on our group

dom: lets start with our group

### Upcoming Meetings

Review upcoming meeting schedule.

Next meeting scheduled for next week 9 October,
[http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html#upcoming-teleconferences][33]

23 October now possible, but week before TPAC.

fjh: trying to figure out upcoming meetings, what we need and is workable

... do we need a call next week? after that we have no call until 13 nov.

... I propose we cancel next week and use the list until the 13 nov

proposed RESOLUTION: Cancel 27 November (US Thanksgiving) and 25 December, 1
January

**RESOLUTION: Cancel 27 November (US Thanksgiving) and 25 December, 1
January**

fjh: updates and status can go on the list, do not see any proposals so
suggest we cancel next week

... comment?

... we already had this call to syncronize

... and can talk at TPAC informally

**RESOLUTION: cancel call on 9 October**

### Action Review

ACTION-718?

<trackbot> ACTION-718 -- Frederick Hirsch to Set up tpac breakout on web api
for health care sensors -- due 2014-09-25 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/718][34]

close ACTION-718

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-718.

ACTION-719?

<trackbot> ACTION-719 -- Frederick Hirsch to Follow up with rwaldron -- due
2014-09-25 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/719][35]

close ACTION-719

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-719.

ACTION-720?

<trackbot> ACTION-720 -- Frederick Hirsch to Send cfc asking if vibration test
and implementation report is correct and complete -- due 2014-09-25 --
PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/720][36]

close ACTION-720

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-720.

### Other Business

none

### Adjourn

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** dom to check on call-in access to TPAC plenary day
breakout sessions, e.g. web api for health care sensors, next steps for web of
things [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-dap-
minutes.html#action01][20]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to follow up on inviting Bluetooth CG presentation
at breakout [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-dap-
minutes.html#action02][24]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** zhiqiang to add test for user denial of captured file
leading to no capture [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-dap-
minutes.html#action03][30]]


[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][37] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][38])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0095.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #item08

   [14]: #item09

   [15]: #item10

   [16]: #item11

   [17]: #item12

   [18]: #item13

   [19]: #ActionSummary

   [20]: http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [21]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0093.html

   [22]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/att-0067/minutes-2014-09-18.html

   [23]:
http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2014/SessionIdeas#Web_API_for_Health_Care_Sensors

   [24]: http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-dap-minutes.html#action02

   [25]: http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

   [26]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0091.html

   [27]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ImplementationStatus

   [28]: https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-
tests/pull/306#issuecomment-39578557

   [29]: http://crbug.com/43394

   [30]: http://www.w3.org/2014/10/02-dap-minutes.html#action03

   [31]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Sep/0074.html

   [32]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/712

   [33]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html#upcoming-teleconferences

   [34]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/718

   [35]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/719

   [36]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/720

   [37]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [38]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/







Received on Thursday, 2 October 2014 15:04:21 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:54:04 UTC