Re: Network Information API

On 01/20/2014 05:52 PM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 01/20/2014 12:47 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>
>> When all you really wanted was "isCarrierNetwork"? There doesn't appear to be any value, at least in this application, in knowing if the connection is 2g, 3g, or 4g.
>>
>> It also shows how much cleaner this is with the new proposed API:
>>
>> if (this.netInfo.connection === 'wifi') { return true; }
>
> yes but even here we already have some cases where "it doesn't mean what
> you think it means" if we're assuming wifi = good quality, unrestricted
> usage is available:  a mobile carrier-connected device is serving as a
> hotspot to another device, which then sees 'wifi'.

sometimes I hate silly mail clients... I left that message sitting there
intending to finish the thought, and only now noticed that somehow it
got sent.

Is there a way we can pick identifiers where the interpretation is left
to the implementation, not to the app? If the implementation can
determine that a connection has the properties matching a particular
state it can report that, else say something conservative. This is NOT a
proposal for the specific identifier names, rather an illustration:  if
the app is presented with connection == 'restricted' vs connection ==
'unrestricted', then it doesn't have to try to apply value judgements to
what, for example == 'wifi' actually should mean, nor that the value
placed is likely to change over time.