Re: [admin] Relationship of DAP and SysApps deliverables

Suresh Chitturi wrote:
> We support this position very much as well.
> It doesn't make much sense to create deviating core specs unless a there is a strong reason. It sends a very wrong message to the web community!
>
> More specifically, in the case of contacts, the work from DAP related to Contact object/properties [1] should be re- used in SysApps.
> The definition consists of a common set of properties across multiple standards (e.g. vCard, CAB, PoCo) and extensible mechanism for vendor specific extensions.

Also note that we did some work on a Contacts Writer API (that we
eventually decided to split out of the main Contacts API due to issues
documented in the Contacts Writer API's Abstract section).

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/75bcab1fd231/contacts/Writer.html

My sense is that a lot of API design decisions comes down to whether you
want to an API for services to interact with an address book or whether
you want to allow services to write full-blown Contacts managers. The
second scenario was specifically a non-goal of the original DAP work in
the context of browser usage.

- Rich