Re: [discovery-api] Consolidated comments and questions

Le 8/2/13 15:27 , Rich Tibbett a écrit :

>> And also, my question about polling boils down to: what is the practical
>> difference between "available" and "online" ?
>
> 'available' means that the service is present on the local network but
> not yet shared with any web page.
>
> 'online' means the the service is present on the local network and
> shared with a web page.
>
> We settled on these terms for lack of a better naming suggestion.
>

>> What is "online" ? A response to ping is characteristic of the device,
>> not of the service.
>> Is there anything standard in Bonjour and UPnP that can be used as a
>> test of online-ness ?
>
> 'online' is a concept specific to this specification when a
> NetworkService object is provided to a web page. At that point the
> service is either online or offline for that web page to interact with.
>
>> Should the implementation poll for that ?
>> Should the online attribute and events not be optional (SHOULD or MAY,
>> rather that MUST now) ?
>
> There is some use to receiving these events for a web page. There is
> the option for the web page to check the online-ness of a shared
> NetworkService object by querying its .url attribute via an e.g. XHR
> call. If that fails with a 4XX then they may be able to assume that
> the service is no longer responding and hence offline.
>
> Since we're aware of general registration/deregitration/expiry of
> Local-networked Services in the network at the underlying
> implementation level we provide any status updates we can through the
> 'online' attribute of the corresponding NetworkService object as a
> convenience feature.
>
>> If it is too similar to "available", should it not be removed
>> altogether ?
>
> It seems there's enough of a difference to warrant both events. One is
> a generic notifier of the state of the network relating the requested
> service types fired against NetworkServices. The other is a specific
> notifier of the state of the service fired against its corresponding
> NetworkService object.

JCD: I still do not understand the difference.
You write:
/'available' means that the service is present on the local network but
not yet shared with any web page. //
////
//'online' means the the service is present on the local network and
shared with a web page. //

/If "I" see a NetworkService object, then it has been provided to the
web page "I" am in.
A NetworkService object has no existence (for the purpose of this
standard) until it is provided to a web page.
So if "I" see it, then online and available must have the same value.
Best regards
JC
//

--