Re: [discovery-api] Consolidated comments and questions

A related question: section 6.2 says " */whether the service is
reporting itself as being either online [...] or offline/*".
In my understanding of the word "offline", the service cannot report
itself as "offline". That would be a contradiction.
So your definition of "offline" is different than mine.
Can you please clarify this ?

And also, my question about polling boils down to: what is the practical
difference between "available" and "online" ?

Available is something that UPnP or Bonjour report with various degrees
of reliability in my practical experience:
- available is reported by UPnP quickly.
- unavailable is reported by UPnP relatively quickly, with some
occasional long delays.
- available is reported by Bonjour relatively quickly.
- unavailable is reported by Bonjour after a few seconds of delay (3 to 5s).
So this is not so usable, but very clear in terms of implementation: the
underlying libraries report "service added" or "resolved" for
availability, and "service removed" for unavailability.

What is "online" ? A response to ping is characteristic of the device,
not of the service.
Is there anything standard in Bonjour and UPnP that can be used as a
test of online-ness ?
Should the implementation poll for that ?
Should the online attribute and events not be optional (SHOULD or MAY,
rather that MUST now) ?
If it is too similar to "available", should it not be removed altogether ?

Thanks
JC

--
JC Dufourd