Re: [discovery-api] Consolidated comments and questions

Le 6/2/13 15:44 , Rich Tibbett a écrit :
> Jean-Claude Dufourd wrote:
>> Le 5/2/13 15:36 , Rich Tibbett a écrit :
>>> 3. Use UPnP friendly name as NetworkService.name? From Cathy [8]:
>>>
>>> The UPnP Friendly Name is only provided at the device-level, not at
>>> the individual services level. As such it doesn't seem it would make
>>> sense to use that for service naming (10 different services from the
>>> same device would each have the same names which is misleading IMO).
>>>
>>> It would be great if there were something equivalent to 'friendly
>>> name' in the service description file (obtainable via the Service's
>>> SCPDURL element). Alas, there is no such thing.
>> JCD: In my in-progress implementation, I had to concatenate "device
>> friendly name" for human readability with "serviceType" for unique
>> identification of the service.
>> The result is long, but otherwise, the system is simply not usable.
>
> Yes. Bear in mind though that the NeworkService.name attribute does
> not have any requirements to be unique though so it shouldn't matter
> so much exactly what is returned here.
>
> The only keyed information we require is on the NetworkService.id
> attribute which requires that the id be unique for each service being
> shared.
JCD:Maybe my proposal is not good enough, but *the current
name=serviceId for UPnP does not work in practice*.
First serviceId may well be the same on different devices, so you get
identical "name" fields if multiple devices expose the same service.
Then, *if you want the user to be able to choose with just the name
information, then the name has to contain both the device friendly name
and some information about the service,* so why not serviceType (or a
relevant part thereof)...
Best regards
JC

--