Re: [admin] Welcome to the DAP WG, TPAG reminder

Hi,

I'm very pleased to join this group to hopefully participate to the enhancement of the Web technologies in devices. I'll have the opportunity to participate to TPAC in november and hope to meet many of you.

I am Alexandre Morgaut, Web Architect and Community Manager for Wakanda at 4D.
I first worked with HTML on Lynx & Mosaic before going to Netscape for JavaScript. I first did community websites and then Web Applications for a big french company (TF1). I more recently worked on the HTTP Server, Debugger, and Standard support (CommonJS, W3C, ...) of Wakanda.

My company initially propose a solution to create and deploy Business Desktop or Client Server applications. This platform also called 4D provides a database engine (it was the first one in 1984 running on Apple computers), an HTTP Server, as well as a GUI Designer for native User Interfaces on Mac and Windows.

The new solution proposed by 4D, called Wakanda, as been designed to build Model-driven Business Web Applications. Its core is a NoSQL object database using webkit JavaScriptCore for its Server-Side JavaScript API, and its own HTTP Server (also used in the 4D platform) for the REST/JSON and JSON-RPC APIs. Wakanda also propose an ajax framework, and a studio with a Model Designer and a GUI Designer.

Our users, in their enterprise level business apps, need to do be able to interact with any kind of devices or interfaces like thermometers, barcode readers, RFID readers, finger print reader, remote controls... They currently often use Bluetooth or USB in their native applications, or directly libraries provided by the reader vendor.

I want to work with this group to see what kind of APIs, even at a higher level, we could provide for such users in the future.

Kind regards,

Alexandre.

On Oct 13, 2012, at 5:37 AM, <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com> <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com> wrote:

> Dear Michael, Oliver, Heiko, Sung Hei, Alexandre
>
> Welcome to the Device APIs Working Group!
>
> If you have not already done so, please review the group charter  [1],   the public working group page and its roadmap [2], and the  approved and draft meeting  minutes [3]. The working group page has information on our meetings  [4], including our weekly teleconferences. You will want to use IRC at meetings [5] and if  a dedicated IRC client does not work you can use the web client [6].
>
> All of our technical work is to be done on our public  mailing list ( public-device-apis@w3.org ) [7] and in our Media Capture task force [8] and WebIntents task force [9].  Please note that mail for the task forces does not appear on the DAP mailing list, so you have to join the task forces explicitly to participate. The task forces may also have additional teleconferences.
>
> Our next F2F will be held 1-2 November 2012 in conjunction with TPAC [10] in Lyon France. Please let me know if you plan to attend and have not completed the WG Questionnaire regarding attendance [11] - the TPAC registration deadline is in a few days so you should complete that today if planning to attend [12] (the cost will go up significantly after 16 October)
>
> Please introduce yourself on this mailing list (if you haven't already done so), indicating who you  are, why you are interested in participating in the Device APIs  WG,  which parts of the charter are of particular interest, your expectations, and where you might be able to contribute.
>
> Thank you
>
> regards, Frederick
>
> Frederick Hirsch, Nokia;
> Chair, W3C DAP Working Group