Re: [capture] A couple of editorial comments

On 11/27/12 9:49 PM, "Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com"
<Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com> wrote:

>On Nov 27, 2012, at 3:28 PM, ext Tobie Langel wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your answers, Frederick.
>>
>> On 11/27/12 8:21 PM, "Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com"
>> <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com> wrote:

>>> The primary purpose is to upload immediately captured content. Why not
>>> use the FileAPI directly otherwise?
>>
>> How can the FileAPI launch capture control types?
>
>it cannot as far as I know, but it can upload files that are in an
>appropriate format or location, isn't that so?

No, you need XHR for this. But thatıs an orthogonal issue, really.

>> The use case is to take a picture, then manipulate and store it locally.
>
>Let's see, wouldn't this use case be three steps for a web application:
>
>1. take a picture - HTML Media Capture
>2. Manipulate - e.g. web application uses Web Intents to invoke
>manipulation program, local or remote
>3. Store locally - web application uses another API (IndexedDB API?) to
>store
>
>Thus for the first step, capture, the focus of HTML MediaCapture, there
>is no support for local or remote manipulation (other than what is
>integrated into the device UI itself, though this UI could provide
>various features)

Agreed.

>My understanding is that capture and upload are integrated without the
>ability for an explicit distinct local manipulation step.

That's incorrect, there is such as step: When the capture control returns
control to application code, the result of the capture is available as a
File object from the input element's `files` property.

>I.e. when I select the camera via the UA in response to an HTML Media
>Capture element the picture is taken by the user (using camera controls
>as appropriate) with immediate upload.

No, upload is an extra step away, and needs the form that contains the
input element to be submitted.

>Thus no step to run an additional local program for red-eye removal for
>example (if this is what you meant by manipulation)

Yes I meant some form of client-side manipulation, like applying filters
using canvas, for example.

>maybe we  need clarity on this in the document and it is possible I could
>be confused.
>

>>> That said, we should not make changes which lose the primary purpose
>>> though we could clarify that file upload is also possible

>>> What is not clear? It says that using forms one can upload material
>>> captured by device mechanisms but cannot have fine grained control like
>>> handling tracks etc.
>>
>> It is unclear to me whether the limited control refers to that of the
>>end
>> user or the author. I'm also not sure what "the default offered by the
>> device" means in that context. (Not trolling, I really don't understand.
>> :-/ )
>
>what I mean specifically to give one example, is that with HTML Media
>Capture you are stuck with the integrated camera and microphone for video
>capture for example - what you get is a recorded video with the
>'default' integrated audio and video stream. This is very limited control
>(and in fact Doug asked why not offer more detailed control).
>
>This is one thing that distinguishes the supported use cases for HTML
>Media Capture versus getUserMedia, which could allow a more advanced user
>use case, where i decide to have a higher quality microphone on a stand
>closer to the subject and then combine that audio stream with the image
>stream to achieve a capture.
>
>Thus there is limited control over what is captured, both for the user
>and the web page author as neither can use HTML Media capture to achieve
>the external microphone capture use case (unless again the local camera
>app includes  it)

Agreed with regard to the developer control. Regarding user control, this
is implementation specific. A device targeted at musicians could very well
allow the user to pick between different kinds of microphones (both
internal and external) through the capture control.

On Android devices, where capture control can be implemented through an
Android Intent, the user can choose whatever application he prefers to
handle the capture and different application offer a different degree of
control (and could potentially include things such as: picking a camera,
applying filters, cropping the picture, storing it in the local gallery,
etc., etc.).

--tobie