Re: [Vibration] Feedback on the Vibration API

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM, David Bruant wrote:

> Good point.
> How do we reach to hardware manufacturers to ask if it's technically
> possible?

I don't know to be honest. A good place to start would be to find out exactly which modules phone manufacturers are using. There are a lot of "phone teardown" articles on the Web which could provide some clues. Quick google search I found this:

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-the-samsung-galaxy-nexus/6334013?seq=22

If you can then track the spec sheet for the hardware, we might not need to ask OEMs anything … of course, there are lots of OEMs on the list :)

> And to ask if it's possible to add this level of reflection?
My suspicion is that most will be using pretty much the same module and that those modules will be standardized. Like I said above, it will take a little digging, but all this stuff is available if you know where to look.
> > Also, I can imagine that if I set an alarm on my phone to vibrate at a given time, and that time clashes with a pattern specified by a web app… then things are gonna get ugly.
>
> I just suggested to add an event to make a more educated choice (within
> a single application) as to when calling vibrate. I don't think what
> you're saying applies.
> First, in the spec, it seems that only one app can vibrate at a time

If this is so, this is a spec bug (or just not correctly worded). I'm fairly certain that notifications can cause the phone to vibrate independent of application (e.g., when you get an SMS).
> (the whole pagevisibility thing). So, either it can't happen or your
> alarm is a sort of privileged app and it can cancel the web app pattern
> or have any special power that are beyond the spec scope.

Right. It might just be that it's not well phrased in the spec.