Re: [sensors] Device Proximity (was: Device light and proximity sensor)

On Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Doug Turner wrote:

> On May 9, 2012, at 3:19 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> > > I'm afraid of the opposite thing. I more trust the people that are closer to the os (or directly interfacing with the hardware) to handle that.
> >
> > The OS knows the sensor's calibration best — it ought to be able to give you near/far events directly. That's how things work on iOS where you get a proximityState boolean when something is close to the device. Android does it more like Doug's proposal.
> >
> > If the use case is just detecting proximity then I prefer the iOS approach — the OS will know better, and the developer doesn't need to know more. If we're trying to do a generic distance sensor then we're missing at least a field to indicate multiple sensors triggering (which is not common on phones, but I believe is the norm on cars — yes, we have to get used to thinking about those too I'm afraid :).
> >
> > I'm not convinced that we should try to merge the two use cases into a single approach.
>
> So lets just create a new dom event as I suggested. Near and far are defined by the UA. Thoughts?

I would be in support of that.

I just thought that you might also need a way of checking if the phone is not already "in proximity" to something (e.g., through an attribute on the navigator object or something).

if(!navigator.<name for in proximity>){
    //set the event listeners
}
userIsNear();