Re: Device light and proximity sensor

On 09/05/12 19:16, Doug Turner wrote:
>> Users may be more concerned about the performance of an application,
>
> Sure.
>
>> which may depend on the application being able to tune the sensor events
>> appropriately,
>
> Not sure that is true.  Do you have an example of where someone needs to tune sensor events so that their application can perform better?

I am not the best person to answer that. In Android, native apps like
games ask for more frequent updates e.g. for the accelerometer, whilst
some apps only need occasional updates. A proximity sensor merits
response times of the order of half a second judging from the
frustration I get when I can't cancel a phone call until the screen
lights up after removing the phone from my ear.

>> This plays into the larger discussion of the future of
>> online privacy and what will follow on after Do Not Track.
>

> Okay.  Sounds out of scope.  What will follow on after DNT?  I am not sure I read anything about that yet.

It isn't clear right now. The FCC is putting pressure on to force a
better meaning of DNT, and there are on going discussions, including
W3C's very on privacy interest group.