Re: Device light and proximity sensor

On 09/05/12 18:02, Doug Turner wrote:
> Yup.  Suggestions on how to address it?
>
> On May 9, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Dave Raggett wrote:
>
>> Its a damp grey day here, so I am obliged to worry that if these
>> additional parameters vary from one browser/platform to another, we have
>> created a nice finger print for those nice tracking folks.

The simplest answer is to avoid passing back the additional data. We
also need to worry about the default behavior if the device doesn't have
a sensor or it is switched off and for an external reason can't be
automatically switched back on. The min, max and default values are all
potentially useful for finger printing.

Users may be more concerned about the performance of an application,
which may depend on the application being able to tune the sensor events
appropriately, so we may not want to be too strident about finger
printing risks. This plays into the larger discussion of the future of
online privacy and what will follow on after Do Not Track.