Re: Device light and proximity sensor

From: "SULLIVAN, BRYAN L" <bs3131@att.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:10 PM
To: "Niklas Widell" <niklas.widell@ericsson.com>
Cc: "Doug Turner" <dougt@mozilla.com>; "Robin Berjon" <robin@berjon.com>;
<public-device-apis@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Device light and proximity sensor

> On the DAP call today I mentioned some thing related to this, and Dzung's
> update to the Sensor spec in response to Doug's spec. Overall, my goal is
> that we get specs to CR with at least the >minimum functionality that
> developers need to build effective apps. The one/many spec debate has been
> had before, and I will remain on the sideline there (ere are valid points
> on both sides).
>
> I'm more concerned that the Sensor APIs contain the essential
> functionality. I'm not yet convinced that a simple min/max response for
> the ambient sound/light and proximity sensors will be >enough, ie that no
> information/control of trigger points and event rate is needed. But I can
> be convinced if someone can explain how a Web developer would deal with
> such issues in an >efficient, cross-platform way in the case that
> platforms vary widely in these additional aspects.

I feel, addition of sensor_granularity and interval parameters can help to
solve parts of the problems that you have mentioned. The interval parameter
is used in device orientation event specification ([1]) as well. Developers
can detect the usefulness of the data based on these two parameters.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/orientation-event/